Enclosure for arid or semi-arid species?

LD50Qc

Arachnopeon
I would like to know what type of enclosure do you have for your arid (or semi-arid) species (Androctonus sp., Hottentotta sp., Orthochirus sp...)

I want to make a big setup (heated with heat-cable) for my arid species but I don't know what to use for enclosures. I don't like glass tanks because if it falls, it will break and the scorpions can escape (it will not happen, but I prefer to prevent it). Rubbermaid are good for this, but for arid species, the ventilation is not really appropriate...

If you have suggestions and pictures of your setup, I would appreciate if you can show it to me.

Thanks for your help!

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
In fact, a Rubbermaid container would work well. If you get a lid that comes with it, you can just make a lot of holes in top, or make a large hole and put a screen on it. Poking holes in the sides of the container (make sure they are not too large so the scorpion could escape) will actually allow cross-ventilation, which is good, especially if the containers are stacked.

Sorry, but I have no pictures. Good luck, however!:)

LD50Qc

Arachnopeon
Some people said to me that it wasn't a really good idea because the moisture level will be too high... but I think that it could be a way to do it.

With rubbermaid we can't heat with a light so the heat-câble must provide all the heat. Is it really possible to have these high temperatures with only heat-cables?

scorpionmom, you have some arid species in rubbermaid?

Here in Quebec, the moisture level can be pretty high in summer (sometimes), could it be a problem for my scorps?

Envyizm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use 5.5 to 10 gallon glass aquariums for all of my arid and semi arid species. I use screen tops for the top of the enclosures. The high ventilation setup allows me to give water to my gravid females without risking mycosis.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Some people said to me that it wasn't a really good idea because the moisture level will be too high... but I think that it could be a way to do it.

With rubbermaid we can't heat with a light so the heat-câble must provide all the heat. Is it really possible to have these high temperatures with only heat-cables?

scorpionmom, you have some arid species in rubbermaid?

Here in Quebec, the moisture level can be pretty high in summer (sometimes), could it be a problem for my scorps?
No I have actually not raise arid species (at all) but I know the care needed. I would be careful. I don't want to give you unhelpful or detrimental information, so continue looking for things that look suitable and try to do some research. Again, good luck.:)

Slimdean

Arachnopeon
snap top

Ya, i saw someone selling their old rubber containers and they had a snap top with small holes drilled on the top and on the sides near the top. I hope that helps.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Display cubes, like the ones that are used for dolls and footballs work well. Get a 1" holesaw, and use metal mesh over the hole. You can buy pre-made vents as well, but I don't know of any places that ship to Canada.

I'll point out that the heat rope can get just as hot as the heat lamps or heat pads. Further, they can also cause melting--I haven't had that problem in my experience (I was keeping roaches in them, not scorpions), but they aren't reccomended by most manufacturers for that use, and your mileage may vary. Plus--I was using a thick, heavy duty rubbermaid type container, not the display cubes. I have no idea how the display cubes would hold up to heat.

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, I vote glass or acrylic cage. Rubber maid's would probably be harder to keep dry and they dont give you the ability to display the enclosure. And you can have fun and get creative with your enclosure with proper aquariums. My desert species set up looks like this:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=140576

There are Hadrurus Spadix scorps in there now (the species in the pic are rather short lived) but the set up looks pretty much the same.

LD50Qc

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the answers!

I will probably use some Exo Terra Breeding Box (large), it will more useful and it will fit in my armoire.