Enclosure and ventilations

goonius

Arachnoknight
I just got it, is it just exploring? It keeps climbing and awhile ago poking its legs out of the vent holes.
Just exploring. It takes awhile for them to settle in -- sometimes days or weeks, depending on the tarantula.

goonius

Arachnoknight
Ah I see, I'm very new so i kinda got worried. Thanks!
The only thing I would add is that if there is anything vibrating the enclosure, the tarantula won't like that and won't settle. I only mention this because of the loud noise in the video, and the way the camera is shaking it's hard to tell if the enclosure is being vibrated by nearby machinery. Otherwise, it all looks good. Do you have a water dish in the enclosure?

NeutralFace

Arachnopeon
The only thing I would add is that if there is anything vibrating the enclosure, the tarantula won't like that and won't settle. I only mention this because of the loud noise in the video, and the way the camera is shaking it's hard to tell if the enclosure is being vibrated by nearby machinery. Otherwise, it all looks good. Do you have a water dish in the enclosure?
Oh sorry about that, I have shaky hands. The noise seems to be my ceiling fan, i don't think it'll shake the enclosure. And yes i have a water dish. Here you can see it.

Attachments

goonius

Arachnoknight
Oh sorry about that, I have shaky hands. The noise seems to be my ceiling fan, i don't think it'll shake the enclosure. And yes i have a water dish. Here you can see it.

Looks good!
I thought it might have just been the video, but thought I should mention it just in case it was something more. Thanks for clarifying, and congrats on your G pulchripes!

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I'd be worried that this could somehow get transferred into the enclosure by accident and harm the tarantula. Also DE is quite bad for the human lungs in indoor scenarios. Probably best to stick to totally nontoxic solutions, imo.
You're right, that post wasn't very specific. Obviously, DE shouldn't be used by someone that isn't familiar with how to apply it without risking exposing themselves or their T's to potentially toxic amounts. I made an assumption that I should have clarified. Just as with any pest control measures, a certain amount of research is necessary to ensure only the desired pests are being targeted and it is being used in a way that doesn't cause harm to unintended creatures (human or otherwise). Thanks for pointing out the risks!

goonius

Arachnoknight
It seems to be in premolt or am I wrong?
I’m not certain. Its abdomen is plump and looks a bit dark. I’d go more on behavior. If it refuses its next meal, or buries itself you can be certain. Slings can be trickier in terms of determining premolt and their premolts more brief.

Last edited:

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Is it stressed?
Of course it's stressed - it has just been transported from who knows where and dumped in a little plastic box and there's a giant watching it's every move. You need to just leave it alone for a few days so it can acclimate to it's new home. You've done everything you need to do to ensure it thrives, but the constant hovering won't allow it to settle in. Don't try to feed it, just observe from a distance for 3 or 4 days at least.

NeutralFace

Arachnopeon
Of course it's stressed - it has just been transported from who knows where and dumped in a little plastic box and there's a giant watching it's every move. You need to just leave it alone for a few days so it can acclimate to it's new home. You've done everything you need to do to ensure it thrives, but the constant hovering won't allow it to settle in. Don't try to feed it, just observe from a distance for 3 or 4 days at least.
I see, yes, I should leave it alone. Thanks for the advice!

goonius

Arachnoknight
Is it stressed?
It looks sort of scrunched so yes, I’d say it’s stressed. I agree that it’s probably due to shipping and being dropped into unfamiliar surroundings. Leaving it undisturbed would be the best course of action, and it will soon begin to explore and make a new home.

NeutralFace

Arachnopeon
It looks sort of scrunched so yes, I’d say it’s stressed. I agree that it’s probably due to shipping and being dropped into unfamiliar surroundings. Leaving it undisturbed would be the best course of action, and it will soon begin to explore and make a new home.
I will leave it alone to settle, I hope the warm weather doesn't also affect it. It's about 32C.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I will leave it alone to settle, I hope the warm weather doesn't also affect it. It's about 32C.
The temp is not an issue. They can tolerate brief periods of high or low temps, as long as they aren't too extreme. 32°C is not extreme, so you're good!

NeutralFace

Arachnopeon
The temp is not an issue. They can tolerate brief periods of high or low temps, as long as they aren't too extreme. 32°C is not extreme, so you're good!
I see, I was scared bc it gets hot for me here. Thanks!

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I see, I was scared bc it gets hot for me here. Thanks!
They occur naturally in Argentina and Paraguay. The predicted high temp in Paraguay the next 3 days is 32°C - no different from where you are.
Screenshot_20220709-010129_Chrome.jpg

Don't imagine things to worry about!