Empty nest feels.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I had planned to give a few spiderlings away and was intentionally raising them to do so, since some of my friends get curious about my Ts and have expressed an interest in them. I recently shipped off a T albo to a newbie keeper and they love it. That made me happy and I had no regrets.

Last night, however, I gave two more slings to a friend who lives about three hours away. I've known this person for ages and I'm sure that they'll take good care of them, but I rolled around all night worrying about if they forget to give them water and they dehydrate in the desert, where my friend lives. I've had these two slings set aside for them for months. I don't know why I'm so worried about them just now.

I had considered also giving them a big A chalcodes girl I received in a bundle recently, but I guess I've gotten super attached to her and I got all weepy when I thought about giving her away to someone, so she's not going anywhere.

I have 113 spiders, which is honestly too many for the amount of space I currently have allotted to spiders, so I've been thinking about paring my collection down a little bit. I'm not sure I can do it, considering how emotional I got after just thinking about handing this big girl off to someone else.

Have you ever pared your collection down? How did you feel about it before and after?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Have you ever pared your collection down?
Yes, plenty of times and I still have too much no matter how many I sell or give away.

How did you feel about it before and after?
I'm usually fine with it as long as the people who get my spiders don't second guess and mislabel the species. I'm usually very picky about who I give or sell my slings too as I put trust over anything first usually.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Have you ever pared your collection down? How did you feel about it before and after?
Yes,also.But my regret was,some I let go of years age and cant get back now( at least legally).
Specifically P.subfusca.vittata and smithi,s. Others no longer being breed or imported.Legally,again.Was thinking at the time,when I retire and have more time,ill get those animals again.
Think again,Mr.Wizard.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Yes,also.But my regret was,some I let go of years age and cant get back now( at least legally).
Specifically P.subfusca.vittata and smithi,s. Others no longer being breed or imported.Legally,again.Was thinking at the time,when I retire and have more time,ill get those animals again.
Think again,Mr.Wizard.
Ooh that sucks. I'm sorry for your loss.

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
I have a great friend in WI that was able to accept my collection in 2020. In a way, I view him as a big brother I can rely on. In hindsight, I regret giving away all my tarantulas especially the gems that I had. However, I don't regret giving it to that person because he knows what he's doing. I was saddened at first giving all away but easily recovered knowing that they are in good hands. I can visit and see them which I’ve done a couple times now these past couple months since returning. It’s a humbling experience for me. I appreciate him very much for taking in my big collection in a moment’s notice. At times, I feel as though I’m indebted to him for having done what he did. I’m extremely glad there are many of my specimens that he now adores, so this makes me feel a lot better. I plan to continue giving away select species to him as signs of my gratitude as I’ve done in the past.

It wasn’t easy losing all the tarantulas I’ve raised as slings. I have another friend that is an experienced hobbyist, breeder, and importer that I look up to as a mentor. I discussed with him of what I had to do, and he told me, “There’s always another spider.” Simple and easy to say, but I’ve found it to be true. Having gone through that experience, I have a greater appreciation for the hobby and the specimens I keep.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I have a great friend in WI that was able to accept my collection in 2020. In a way, I view him as a big brother I can rely on. In hindsight, I regret giving away all my tarantulas especially the gems that I had. However, I don't regret giving it to that person because he knows what he's doing. I was saddened at first giving all away but easily recovered knowing that they are in good hands. I can visit and see them which I’ve done a couple times now these past couple months since returning. It’s a humbling experience for me. I appreciate him very much for taking in my big collection in a moment’s notice. At times, I feel as though I’m indebted to him for having done what he did. I’m extremely glad there are many of my specimens that he now adores, so this makes me feel a lot better. I plan to continue giving away select species to him as signs of my gratitude as I’ve done in the past.

It wasn’t easy losing all the tarantulas I’ve raised as slings. I have another friend that is an experienced hobbyist, breeder, and importer that I look up to as a mentor. I discussed with him of what I had to do, and he told me, “There’s always another spider.” Simple and easy to say, but I’ve found it to be true. Having gone through that experience, I have a greater appreciation for the hobby and the specimens I keep.
I'm sorry you had to give up your collection. That really sucks :(

I'm glad that you had someone you trusted to give them to, though. That's how I've ended up with about half of my collection too, tbh.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I let go of three Y. diversipes to another member about maybe two months ago. Hit me in the gut a little afterwards, but made a friend and text frequently.

But there are definitely specific T’s in my collection that you would have to take over my dead body. And definitely one in my collection I‘d end up a dead body if I ever had to try and pack it for shipping. I swear I would bubble wrap the entire enclosure twice over and tell the little dude strap up for the ride.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I would never part with a tarantula I’d grown attached to, except in the case of a mature male as I feel I should give him the opportunity to fulfill his purpose if arrangement can be made. When I have several slings of a species then I am usually happy to sell or trade them to another keeper as I just don’t have room.

It’s a personal thing whether and to which tarantulas or other animals you feel such attachment. When my hissers produced a ton of offspring I used many as feeders, and always with mixed feelings, I confess, but I cannot keep all of them! But on the other hand, one of the founders of my colony, a male distinguished by individual name (I don’t usually name my roaches) got to die of old age. Feeding him to anything just because he was past his prime was unthinkable to me.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have 113 spiders, which is honestly too many for the amount of space I currently have allotted to spiders
Clearly it isn't as you own 113 in the space you have.

Have you ever pared your collection down?
Never

One person did scale down, and s/he committed suicide I heard as a result or maybe that was internet rumors who knows.

except in the case of a mature male
YEP, means I'll be making more space for another T!

Last edited:

jc55

Arachnoknight
I had to give up a decent collection i had years ago due to an unplanned move that i had no choice in but i gave them to a friend and fellow keeper so i knew they would be cared for properly but i still regretted having to be in that situation but sometimes life does not give us the ability to make the choices we would like.