Empty enclosure…what to get next!??

Leanne3488

Arachnopeon
Heyyy,

So my elderly c.cyanopubescens passed away and I have an empty 30x30x30cm (12x12x12inches) exoterra.

Any suggestions of what might be suitable to go in it? I kept the GBB semi-arboreally but can’t seem to find any other species like this?

I think it might be too short for arboreal species (or is it?!?) and too tall for terrestrial…

Would it fit a dwarf species? If so any cool sp?

Any other ideas??

THANKS 🙏🏼

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I think it might be too short for arboreal species (or is it?!?) and too tall for terrestrial…
No it will do fine for just about only an arboreal! and yes unsafe for terrestrial .
Absolutely unsuitable for a dwarf species. too large and too tall inside for fall damage.
I kept the GBB semi-arboreally
Thhey are actually terrestrial withhh just more adaptability.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I have an empty 30x30x30cm (12x12x12inches) exoterra.
If you haven't already then you'll need to replace the woven wire mesh in the lid with acrylic/expanded metal/perforated sheet metal before housing a new tarantula in there as woven wire mesh is unsafe for tarantulas.

I kept the GBB semi-arboreally but can’t seem to find any other species like this?
C. cyaneopubescens are heavy-webbing terrestrials, "semi-arboreal" is a nonsense tag that gets slapped on any heavy webbing terrestrial/fossorial species (GBB/OBT/etc.).

I think it might be too short for arboreal species (or is it?!?)
No, it'd be fine for any arboreal that maxes out at 6" or under (especially members of the Psalmopoeinae subfamily)

Would it fit a dwarf species?
No, way too big.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Heyyy,

So my elderly c.cyanopubescens passed away and I have an empty 30x30x30cm (12x12x12inches) exoterra.

Any suggestions of what might be suitable to go in it? I kept the GBB semi-arboreally but can’t seem to find any other species like this?

Any other ideas??

THANKS 🙏🏼
I keep all my terrestrial species in 30cm cubes. Where is the problem?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I keep all my terrestrial species in 30cm cubes. Where is the problem?
Height, Exo Terras can only be filled with 3" of substrate at the front because of the vents which makes them unsuitable for terrestrials under 6".

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Height, Exo Terras can only be filled with 3" of substrate at the front because of the vents which makes them unsuitable for terrestrials under 6".
I've been keeping all terrestrials like this for over ten years without a single accident. However, I may have to mention that I basically create a clear slope to the rear!
And yes, only (sub) adult females get this luxury 😉.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
As Grym said, Not enough room for substrate to properly house a terrestrial if not fully grown. I’m wondering how the C. cyaneopubescens passed considering it is quite a bulletproof t and likes bone dry substrate. Make sure you replace the mesh in the exo terra with drilled acrylic or plexi, if you haven’t already. That could have been what killed the GBB.
As for a different T to put in it, that would do perfectly fine for a juvenile or sub adult A. avicularia or C. versicolor, but I’d recommend doing ample research on husbandry for these species or any tarantula species before getting another.

Leanne3488

Arachnopeon
If you haven't already then you'll need to replace the woven wire mesh in the lid with acrylic/expanded metal/perforated sheet metal before housing a new tarantula in there as woven wire mesh is unsafe for tarantulas.
Thanks already did this for the GBB 👍🏼

As Grym said, Not enough room for substrate to properly house a terrestrial if not fully grown. I’m wondering how the C. cyaneopubescens passed considering it is quite a bulletproof t and likes bone dry substrate. Make sure you replace the mesh in the exo terra with drilled acrylic or plexi, if you haven’t already. That could have been what killed the GBB.
As for a different T to put in it, that would do perfectly fine for a juvenile or sub adult A. avicularia or C. versicolor, but I’d recommend doing ample research on husbandry for these species or any tarantula species before getting another.
Thanks already sorted the mesh. GBB was elderly all I can think of was old age…

Of course I’d research the husbandry…

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Makes sense. I’d go for either an adult female with substrate on a slope, like 8 legged mentioned, or a juvenile or sub adult arboreal species.
if you want species suggestions, it really depends on your preference. I’d say a versicolor would be nice especially if you only have 1 T.

Leanne3488

Arachnopeon
C. cyaneopubescens are heavy-webbing terrestrials, "semi-arboreal" is a nonsense tag that gets slapped on any heavy webbing terrestrial/fossorial species (GBB/OBT/etc.).
I knew someone would pick up on this 😂 I just mean something that would be
Makes sense. I’d go for either an adult female with substrate on a slope, like 8 legged mentioned, or a juvenile or sub adult arboreal species.
if you want species suggestions, it really depends on your preference. I’d say a versicolor would be nice especially if you only have 1 T.
Yeah it was more what would be suitable for that particular enclosure as I thought it was a bit of a weird size but looks like I might go for a psalmopeous species👍🏼. Have 18 Ts currently including a versicolour 😀

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
I knew someone would pick up on this 😂 I just mean something that would be

Yeah it was more what would be suitable for that particular enclosure as I thought it was a bit of a weird size but looks like I might go for a psalmopeous species👍🏼. Have 18 Ts currently including a versicolour 😀
Oh then yes! Go for a Psalmo! They’re my favorite genus. May I recommend the beautiful yet underrated Psalmopoeus pulcher? If I could keep one Psalmo that would be the one I’d choose.

Leanne3488

Arachnopeon
Ooh sold! Thanks 👍🏼 Don’t have any of that sp yet…got a cambridgei sling that unfortunately came DOA so keen to pick up another 😀

quirinus

Arachnoknight
Psalmo females have to be treated like queens :) i couldn't imagine mine in a 12 inch high enclosure.. That's nearly her dls :) But that's maybe because I am European

Leanne3488

Arachnopeon
I’m from the UK so not sure what that has to do with it 😂😂 sure I thought 30 would be too small too…hence my posting this thread…maybe I’ll just use this enclosure as my arboreal juvenile/sun adult enclosure.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I've been keeping all terrestrials like this for over ten years without a single accident.
Yeah, all that means is that you've gotten lucky so far, if I had a quid for every time someone has said "I've been keeping xx years without incident so it's nonsense" (in regards to mesh/height) and then proceeds to have an incident I'd have a Pamphobeteus sp. "Solaris" or two by now.

However, I may have to mention that I basically create a clear slope to the rear!
Confused as to why people think sloping the sub towards the back solves the problem because that still leaves a 9" drop at the front which still makes the enclosure unsuitable for anything under 6".

Psalmo females have to be treated like queens :) i couldn't imagine mine in a 12 inch high enclosure.. That's nearly her dls :) But that's maybe because I am European
Where are you getting 12" Psalmos? Lol.

I keep my adult females of irminia, ecclesiasticus, and pulcher in 20x20x30 enclosures and they're all doing great. The only member of the genus I'd use a larger enclosure for is cambridgei and only for a fully grown female. The only arboreals that constantly live in elevated positions are Aviculariinae, all non-Avic arboreals tend to stay closer to ground level.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Yeah, all that means is that you've gotten lucky so far, if I had a quid for every time someone has said "I've been keeping xx years without incident so it's nonsense" (in regards to mesh/height) and then proceeds to have an incident I'd have a Pamphobeteus sp. "Solaris" or two by now.

Confused as to why people think sloping the sub towards the back solves the problem because that still leaves a 9" drop at the front which still makes the enclosure unsuitable for anything under 6".

Where are you getting 12" Psalmos? Lol.

I keep my adult females of irminia, ecclesiasticus, and pulcher in 20x20x30 enclosures and they're all doing great. The only member of the genus I'd use a larger enclosure for is cambridgei and only for a fully grown female. The only arboreals that constantly live in elevated positions are Aviculariinae, all non-Avic arboreals tend to stay closer to ground level.
Alright, thank you very much.