Empty 55 gal..what should I put in it?

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
I find a 55 is perfect for an adult Tiger Oscar , but way too big for any T . :D

StephanieH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It doesn't have to be t related. I've already done the oscar thing. And I gave away all my filters.

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
I would do a setup for a T. Blondi/Burgandy... Fill it almost 2/3 of substrate and do a really detailed terrarium with a wide variety of different plants. Something I've always wanted to do, but dont have the time, enclosure, or the spider ;) There are some pics somewhere on here of a setup similar to what I'm talking about, just havent looked in awhile...

StephanieH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A group of crested geckos in a planted set up would be awesome
I have thought about this. I have 2 pair.

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

I would do a setup for a T. Blondi/Burgandy... Fill it almost 2/3 of substrate and do a really detailed terrarium with a wide variety of different plants. Something I've always wanted to do, but dont have the time, enclosure, or the spider ;) There are some pics somewhere on here of a setup similar to what I'm talking about, just havent looked in awhile...
I know I've seen that pic too. The Blondi's scare me somewhat. I've heard they're hard to get humidity right.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You could put a pretty big B. fusca or G. portentosa colony in there. ;)

H. incei, in my opinion, wouldn't be a good idea. Even if you put a TON of spiders in there, they're so small that I don't think it would make for a good setup. I have a communal of 15 or so in a ten-gallon and even that seems a little too big at times.

I once did a 'communal' OBT setup in a 55-gallon. Started with 5 1" slings, ended up with 3 adults (2 female, 1 male). They weren't communal, per-se...they had plenty of room to establish their own territories and that's what the 3 smart ones did. They never knew the others even existed.

Non-tarantula related...you could do leopard or fat-tail geckos, chameleons, any number of snakes...there are plenty of options.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Get some lights and fill it with carnivorous plants haha!
-Chris

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
I dont know where people are getting the idea that 55gal is too big for a tarantula, especially a theraphosa. You could even put a medium size tarantula in there and it would work just fine, if thats what you want to do. You dont NEED a tank that big for a T, but it certainly wouldn't hurt anything(and no, your T won't get "lost" lol...).

But anyway, I would go for a poison dart frog community with a waterfall and real plants, and maybe even a fogger for added effect. Red eyed tree free frogs would be cool too.
Also a 55gal would be perfect for an amazon tree boa. You can get em for under a hundred bucks and they make for really cool display specimens.
I also like syndicates idea of carnivorious plants. You could even put some venus flytraps in there with with a tropical T or centipede and they would thrive in the high humidity and could eat the same crickets or roaches that the T eats.

StephanieH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for all the ideas.
It used to house my cal king, but I wanted to do something really cool with it. I've always wanted a tree boa.

Keep the ideas coming! You all are giving me great ideas!

Steph

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Get a trio of M.balfori, let them establish a colony, be rich in a couple years ;).

Robertb

Arachnopeon
Turn it into a Micro climate for some of your other Ts if you have any. Micro climates hold humidity great!

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
I find a 55 is perfect for an adult Tiger Oscar , but way too big for any T . :D
I don't really want to pick a fight, but I am going to say the following anyway.

I never understood how an enclosure could be too big for a tarantula. Tarantulas live in the wild too, where there is a lot of space, more space than can be replicated in a home. I personally would only use a 55 gallon for a big Theraphosa, simply because the enclosure takes up a lot of room, and that is not room I have to house a bunch of H. incei. It is keeper's choice, as long as the enclosure isn't too small, IMO. Have a good time with whatever you put in there.

--Dan;)

StephanieH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dan,

I agree with you. I put my p. regalis sling in an 18 x 18 x 18 exoterra. I don't want to have to rehouse him. He's doing great. The wild is a lot bigger than an exo terra.

Steph

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
And once that regalis settles in, it'll be utilizing a whopping 6x4x4, if you're lucky.

Just because a spider has 'more room' in the wild, doesn't mean they use it.

There are plenty of threads that already discuss this, search for them and add your .02 to them instead of changing the topic of this one, if you don't mind.