Emperor unexpectedly had babies,

krenemetcalfe

Arachnopeon
I had just cleaned her enclosure, and was too low on the reptisoil to add it to her coconut substrate. I figured I would add it in the next day no problem. So, it’s usually a bit deeper. She isn’t much of a burrower honestly except sometimes RARELY under her alligator skull. I came down the next day and she had babies all over her back. She is my first scorpion and we must have adopted her right after she bred! Lucky!!! She is my baby, I adore her. I am SO worried about her and these babies. I am keeping this moist every day. Overflowing her dish and pouring water into the coconut substrate, but it’s tough with her heat mats. I don’t want to stress her out. Is it better to leave her be and keep this up or try to add some soil quietly. She has a big hide she loves, and her water dish, some smaller rocks and her alligator skull she could never get under with the babies. Also, I was going to separate the babies into individual containers after they climb down, keep track of feedings and molts, is this best? Or is communal best? If one gets knocked off early, can I just place it back in her back? I did that today and she tolerated it. She is pretty amazing. Definitely in Momma Bear mode, but normally, with me, she will reach up and climb right I to my hand. No one else, just mine. She is turning down food, so I am respecting that. She isn’t a big eater. I moved her water dish over more so she can fit through that space now that she is in this clumsy mode. She is has a towel covering the top, but is always on my kitchen counter. She comes out to interact. Do i move her somewhere else for now? She still comes out on her own. Any and all advice is appreciated! Thank you all in advance!

Attachments

krenemetcalfe

Arachnopeon
I was able to add her soil in without stressing her. She has her added moisture from that, and the extra couple inches.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
Just let her be and she'll take care of the babies on her own. Too much interference may cause her to become stressed and eat them. I've heard that mother Emperors will actually feed their babies with pre-killed prey, after they've had their first molt (obviously!) Its okay to separate them from her when they climb down off her back, but you could leave them with her for a bit to see how they get along.

Here's a link I found on emperor scorpling care that might of of use for you:

krenemetcalfe

Arachnopeon
Just let her be and she'll take care of the babies on her own. Too much interference may cause her to become stressed and eat them. I've heard that mother Emperors will actually feed their babies with pre-killed prey, after they've had their first molt (obviously!) Its okay to separate them from her when they climb down off her back, but you could leave them with her for a bit to see how they get along.

Here's a link I found on emperor scorpling care that might of of use for you:

Thank you so much! I want to make sure I do the best thing for all of them. I think I’m more stressed out about this than I was having my own babies, lol! I know I shouldn’t be. Nature... but, I feel responsible for her and now all fifteen of these littles. Thank you!

Ncshooter

Arachnosquire
Must be birthing day for the scorpie world... my AFS also just started giving birth (100% unexpected)!!!

krenemetcalfe

Arachnopeon
Congrats! It was such an unexpected surprise for us, but I am so excited about it. I love her so much, and I feel like it was such a gift!