Emperor Scorpion's Polarity Reversed!

phyrphreek

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So..my Emp seems to have forgotten which way is up and has turned himself upside down! He's very much alive, but he lays on his back most of the time,with his tail stretched all the way out. Is he distressed? Striving to catch some sun? Is he playing,or is he just lazy? I've never seen this before, but then again I'm not too experienced with scorpions. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Interesting...

Can you explain it enclosures conditions? temp, humidity, substrate, any external influences? how about a pic?

If you turn him over does he flip back on his back?

phyrphreek

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No camera,but I'm working on gtting one lol. He's just in a 10 gallon,humidity is anywhere between 60-70%...we don't mist or anything,I live in Louisiana. His substrate is a little soil mixed with mostly peat moss. The thing is he's been living with another Emp in the same enclosure,same conditions,for about a year and half now. He's done wonderfully since now...but he's not even lethargic or anything,he just keeps flipping over onto his back.

phyrphreek

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I tried that...he purred for a second,then flipped back over to go bury a cricket leg.

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Weird...

Reminds me of the time both of mine got on top of their little log and one got pushed off and landed upside down.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think this is not very funny :rolleyes:
If it displays this kind of behaviour (flipping over, stretched out metasoma, especially the last symptom is a known bad sign) it will probably die within a week. I would mist if I where you, why do you think you read everywhere that Pandinus needs 80-90% RH, this not based on some hunch but on experience.
I am afraid your Pandinus is not well and will die.

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This just happened to my emperor...
But it's upside down while on top of my other emp...:?

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This just happened to my emperor...
But it's upside down while on top of my other emp...:?
maybe the male is trying to insert his spermatophore in a different position :?