Emperor scorpion questions, NEED HELP

snstrflyer

Arachnopeon
I have had my emp for six months, and everything has been great, until a few weeks ago i noticed that he was really fat, and lazy, never comes out of burrow anymore, and i really need to know whats going on. I feed him 2 crickets a week like i always have, the first 2 pics are him now, fat. the third pic is when i got him. Can he be getting ready to molt? is he just obese?

Also could anyone help me sex this emp? i got 2 close up shots of his bottom.
Really appreciate any help. :)

Keep a gradient from 75 to 85 degrees
constant 80 percent humidity
no lights
feed him my own gut loaded crickets
always fresh water

Thanks

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah it's not mature yet, looks like it's about to molt, be prepared for a bigger scorpion:drool:

snstrflyer

Arachnopeon
Also i have stopped feeding, thinking he is obese, but if he is getting ready to molt, should i continue to feed? Thanks.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It looks premolt to me, I'd offer all the food it wants until it won't eat anymore, it probably wont eat now is my guess. They will instinctively stop eating before molting, you won't make it explode. I'm only careful with feeding a lot when they are adults, just because I think they look a little better when not so blown up. I also feed smaller things so I can watch the behavior more often, rather than giving them a giant Hisser roach and then waiting to feed again months later when they will eat again.

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
even though the scorpion depicted is trying to piss standing, I think it's a female

snstrflyer

Arachnopeon
It looks premolt to me, I'd offer all the food it wants until it won't eat anymore, it probably wont eat now is my guess. They will instinctively stop eating before molting, you won't make it explode. I'm only careful with feeding a lot when they are adults, just because I think they look a little better when not so blown up. I also feed smaller things so I can watch the behavior more often, rather than giving them a giant Hisser roach and then waiting to feed again months later when they will eat again.
Thanks, i was worried about the exploding factor, it happen to me with a spider once.
If he/she is premolt will it molt in its burrow or out in the open?
posted some picks of his burrow.
How long after molt should i feed?

Thanks alot guys for your help.

Last edited:

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not too sure about the age, but it definately looks to be a male judging from the genital operculum. Females will have a heart or slightly more triangular shape G.O. Males have a more even oval shaped G.O.

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Be patient. Patience is one of the biggest parts of keeping scorpions or T's beyond basic care

There is no way to know it's age beyond a guess unless you had it from birth.

You don't have to worry about "exploding" in pretty much any scorpion or T. The biggest worry with an obese T is a fall resulting in a rupture because they can climb even if terrestrial. P. imperator can't climb the glass and the chances of him falling from a height in a proper setup which you appear to have is minimal to none.

As for sex wait until it molts and gets closer to mature, the g.o. will be more easily distinguishable as male or female by then.

It will molt where ever it feels like there is no guarantee it would be in or out of the burrow.

After molt wait a week or 2 for it's new exoskeleton to harden. If it doesn't accept food wait another week, nothing to worry about these can go a very long time without food and sometimes intentionally will.

Last edited:

snstrflyer

Arachnopeon
Be patient. Patience is one of the biggest parts of keeping scorpions or T's beyond basic care

There is no way to know it's age beyond a guess unless you had it from birth.

You don't have to worry about "exploding" in pretty much any scorpion or T. The biggest worry with an obese T is a fall resulting in a rupture because they can climb even if terrestrial. P. imperator can't climb the glass and the chances of him falling from a height in a proper setup which you appear to have is minimal to none.

As for sex wait until it molts and gets closer to mature, the g.o. will be more easily distinguishable as male or female by then.

It will molt where ever it feels like there is no guarantee it would be in or out of the burrow.

After molt wait a week or 2 for it's new exoskeleton to harden. If it doesn't accept food wait another week, nothing to worry about these can go a very long time without food and sometimes intentionally will.
Thanks for all the info, i appreciate the time. :)