Emperor scorpion identification

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
Not an Emp. I'm not very good at identifying Heterometrus species, but maybe Petersi..??

Luis Araiza

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the help. Be careful when purchasing from these online reptile stores. We purchased an Emperor but they sent us this one instead. Hopefully they make things right.. They didnt seem too surprised when we contacted them.
Anyone know where I can get a true emperor? Not sure I trust these online reptile shops after this incident.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
Thanks for the help. Be careful when purchasing from these online reptile stores. We purchased an Emperor but they sent us this one instead. Hopefully they make things right.. They didnt seem too surprised when we contacted them.
Anyone know where I can get a true emperor? Not sure I trust these online reptile shops after this incident.
I'm not surprised they had no idea if it was a AFS or Emperor. Especially If they're not specialized in arachnids and sell other stuff like reptiles and the like. I do know that Emperors are very hard to find now and can cost a fair bit.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
You can get them from reputable sellers here on the AB Classifieds. Also there are other online reputable vendors we use.

Check out the vendor review section.

HaydnR

Arachnopeon
It looks like a H. petersii to me, black telson, appears to be matt black and has some granulation on its carapace.

FRAZE01

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I actually just picked up 4 a week ago that were supposed to be dictator but I had a feeling that they weren't all are emperor

Luis Araiza

Arachnopeon
I actually just picked up 4 a week ago that were supposed to be dictator but I had a feeling that they weren't all are emperor
Where did you get them? We have been having a hard time finding true emperor scorpions. Looking for a female. The online petstore who we ordered from sent us the wrong one. They did refund our money though.

FRAZE01

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Where did you get them? We have been having a hard time finding true emperor scorpions. Looking for a female. The online petstore who we ordered from sent us the wrong one. They did refund our money though.
I actually stopped at a petco looking for a dragon for the wife and the had scorpions listed as dictator. someone had brought in a female that had just had babies and they couldn't care for them all so I came in at the right time and picked up 4 for a heck of a deal

FRAZE01

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I will see if I can get pics

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Yes it is a H.petersii.

Does it have a reddish brown telson?

No - eliminates H.cyaneus, H.longimanus, and H.spinifer

Does it have heavy granulation on carapace, peds, and legs?

No - eliminates H.cyaneus.

Does it have a pronounced internal tubercle on its patella?

No - eliminates H.longimanus and H.spinifer

Does it posses no visible granulation on the carapace and tergites?

No - eliminates H.laoticus

Can't wait for Prendini's review of the Heterometrus genus due this year. I wonder if it will outdate Kovarik's review in any major ways.