Emperor scorpion id and tail problem

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
IMG_1996.JPG IMG_2007.JPG IMG_1998.JPG I just got a sexed pair of emperor scorpions. Are they pandinus imperator and will the tail of the female be alright?

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
Note that the tail of the scorpion isn't so good (it's twisted and I got her that way)

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
the telson is broken. she may be able to regenerate her telson, but that's a very bad injury for a scorpion, as their anus is located just before the telson

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It kind of looks like an old injury that didn't form properly and so molted out a little strange, hard to tell from here. If so it may be OK but will probably be off like that from now on but(if it makes it) it should be no big deal because it might be all about getting baby emperors later.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
Okay then. I'll take more photos when I get home. Now are they actual pandinus imperator?

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
I'm no expert but after having looked closely at the tail of the female I feel she will be able to live happily as
Long as the anus is not too negatively effected. They defecate so rarely though that it could be a while before you notice a problem, keep a close eye on her and keep us updated please.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
the telson is broken. she may be able to regenerate her telson, but that's a very bad injury for a scorpion, as their anus is located just before the telson
I'm no expert but after having looked closely at the tail of the female I feel she will be able to live happily as
Long as the anus is not too negatively effected. They defecate so rarely though that it could be a while before you notice a problem, keep a close eye on her and keep us updated please.
I agree, hopefully the anus is not affected.

I never understood why nature gave them this anatomy (anus being at the end of the telson). The telson is used so often by most species and undergoes such trauma all the time that it seems like this type of injury might happen a lot. Anything that regularly eats Scorpions knows to disable the tail first. If a Scorpion gets attacked and survives but with a no longer functioning metasoma it is surely doomed. If the anus was located on the underside of the body it would seem to make more sense as it could possibly survive without a working stinger if it can capture small enough prey.

Food for thought I guess.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Take a picture of the scorpion's head for us. The imperator has a distinctive triangle on its head that the dictator lacks.

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
It is hairy though. Ill update on the injury.
Cool. If there's any interesting behaviour changes from the individual aswell such as cleaning or avoiding cleaning the area, changing tempermant etc that you notice let us know could give an idea of how bad the injury is.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
The only thing is about the sexing part. I'll upload pictures and see if you can sex them...

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes those are imperators. When you've seen a lot of babies, there is a brain trigger that would need digging into to describing it in words, in taxonomic detail. But after seeing so many, you know it when you see them. I'm thinking you need to wait for some molts for sexing out, but I've never tried to sex them out before they mature, there may be a way but I don't know.

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I hate to burst any bubbles, but it is simply not possible to accurately identify them at this age. Pandinus is likely from the shape of the chela, but it is not possible to narrow it down to a species, or even rule out other genera at this age without looking at a specimen under a dissecting microscope.

As for sexing....

If you can get a good look at the operculum it should be possible, however sexing such young (and therefore small) individuals can be difficult as the sexual dimorphism isn't as apparent as in older individuals.