Emperor Scorpion? Help Please

B

babylon5girl

Hey I need some help with ID-ing a scorpion at the place I work at. We have about 10 tarantulas and multiple emperor scorpions. One of our emperor scorpions was recently stolen and another one was ordered to replace it. I'm fairly cofitant that this is not an emperor. My knowlege of scorpions is limited, since I'm way more into tarantulas than scorpions. This scorpion has smoother claws not like the bumpy ones and in general is a little smaller than all our others. It is also more aggresive, and instead of the yellow stinger at the end of its tail it is black. I remembered reading somewhere that there was a scorpion that fit this description and thought that this one was one of those, but now when I look I can't find anything on it. Can someone help me out?

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A simple guess would be a Heterometrus sp. as pet store owners don't know the difference and suppliers often don't either. Can you provide a picture.

I bought two different Hets mis IDed as emps, and 2 Pandinus cavimanus' mis IDed as emps.

B

babylon5girl

yeah here is the pic of the scorpion

thanks for helping me:D sorry about the blurry image my camera sucks

BadBikaDamo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A good shot of the carapce would be handy, but the black telson and smooth carapace would suggest a Heterometrus Laoticus.

Damo{D

B

babylon5girl

yeah I'll see if I can get some head shots later today

marcelo_987

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't know Damo.......looks to me that there is some granulation on the carapace.:? If it has granulation on the prosoma it could be a petersii or spinifer (probably petersii because it is very rare that a spinifer has a black telson) but if it's smooth than it's a laoticus.

BadBikaDamo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I see some granulation on the carapace I would shoot for H longimanus or spinifer. Still a better 'head' shot would help...
Yep, I can see it now also, just a bit at the sides...

A good lookin' scorp, I'd buy it regardless, but I'ts a bit far to travel.

B

babylon5girl

hey these are the best pics that I could get right after I got these it got really angry.

and here's another

thanks for the help:D

B

babylon5girl

If I need 2 post differant angles telll me, I've never IDed a scorpion