Emperor scorp temps

promomgr

Arachnopeon
Could anyone advise as to the high temperatures from direct sunlight an Emperor could with stand without any ill effects?

I was told they could stand direct sulight with no harm for over an hour. I am looking for more points of view on this.

Thanks
Mark

Whitdadie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Their optimal temp is 90+ so im guessing they can take a lot of heat, but need a lot of humidity also. Hope it helps a little.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Scorpions will deal with 100+ temperatures quite nicely. What they generaly can't deal with is sunlight on an aquarium. The glass acts just like it does on a car on a hot day. The temperatures inside an aquarium exposed to direct sunlight can get out of hand really quickly. If you want to expose your scorpion to direct sunlight and glass is not an issue, you should provide them with a deep enough substrate that they can burrow to escape the light and heat.

Cheers,
Dave

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm sort of curious as to why you're wondering about this. Is it because you've been asked to do some sort of educational program in an outdoor setting? Since I do that sort of thing as a side business, I can tell you my recomendations. In short, I wouldn't do it unless there was some sort of tent, tarp or other cover that would provide some shade, as any portable cage is going to heat up in the sun as Dave describes. Just plain ambiant heat isn't a problem.

Wade

promomgr

Arachnopeon
This is for a Photo shot/video taping with Scorpions.

I just want to be sure this will not cause any harm.

they will be on a flat surface with no place to burrow. it is planned for a 10-15 minute video and thats is all.
they wil be kept in a climate controlled area untill the taping.

We are concerned since the scorps would rarely see sunlight if this is harmful. outside temps are looking to reach 80 that day.
Thanks again
Mark

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Take a thermometer, wrap it in black tape (electrical works perfectly) and leave it outside for fifteen min plus the amount of time you will have the scorps there for and in the same temp or as close to it as possible. Glass thermometers are best for this. You can compensate for the lesser temp with normal lights shining on it at close range, as long as they do not inhibit the sunlight. You should also surround the thermometer with something to block the wind (cardboard, etc). After about fifteen min more than they will be required to be in the light, check the temp on the thermometer after peeling the tape from it. Add another 2 degrees Fahrenheit to it and that should be about what the scorpion will have to sustain. If you must do this filming, the P. imperator should not withstand a temp of 90 Fahrenheit for more than about six to eight min (medium humidity [50%]), so you should hope the thermometer does not reach higher, or else, the scorp will probably die quite rapidly. When you do this, since you apparently seem as though you are going to try anyway, keep a bottle of room temp water (preferably a couple gallons and NOT cool or cold!!!) and if you can, film intermittently with shade breaks for the scorp. I would recommend you do the filming in an area similar in atmosphere to what an emp would experience in the wild (lots of trees, shady and moist while also being misted), but for some reason, I don't think you are going to do this.

As a note, direct sunlight can be harmful to scorpions!!! I'm not exactly sure how long it would take the sun's UV rays and heat to begin to take effect on the scorpion, but you can rest assured, it wont take long as they dry out very easily. Keep in mind, the scorp's exterior moisture will last about the time that fog lasts when the sunlight hits it, because the skin of a scorpion is so thin. P. imperator happens to be the most highly succeptable to heat that I have found. I WOULD NOT DO THIS unless in a good, shady area and keeping them or it highly misted. Just watch for the pedipalps. If the scorp covers it's carapace, cover the scorp or scorps with a damp rag immediately and get em' out of the heat. If you do not, you will have dead scorps and no way to film at all.

I lost an emp in a car (under the back side of the pass seat) with the windows down in 95 degree weather with the car's thermostat set at 79 F and fan on high in the floor. If it would've been from cool air, the emp would've survived longer, but the peds were covering over the carapace, so it was obviously heat. It was only for 26 minutes.

adios,
edw.

PS: Good luck scorps. :(