Emperor Scorp Babies Question

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So I got an adult emperor from KenTheBugGuy for a friend on 4/20/10, I got a call this morning that the emperor had babies, but my friend doesn't want them, at what point is it safe for me to remove the babies, and what should she do to take care of the babies and mother until then?

ArachnoNut

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
When the scorplings molt from first to second instar they will start to come off the mothers back. I am sure someone with more information will chime in :)

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nothing. As the previous poster said, wait until they molt into 2i, and start coming off moms back. Then they are ready to leave her.

The only things for her to be concerned with until then are:

1. Make sure humidity is within range. Higher is better than too low.

2. If she wants to feed, which may or may not be needed, then imo she should provide pre-killed.

3. Besides checking/improving humidity, and feeding pre-killed, leave her alone.

After you receive them, keep them humid, and feed them more often than you would an adult. 2 or 3 times a week is what I try for. Feed pieces of pre-killed, or live or dead appropriate sized feeders.

That's all I can think of right now, Have fun with them! :)

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
about how long does it take from first to second instar?

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
about how long does it take from first to second instar?
I'm not sure about Emperors specifically. But generally it takes a couple of days, or even a couple of weeks. If it gets to be 3 weeks, I would check back and ask if that's normal for emps. But besides maintaining proper humidity, there is not much you can do but wait.

monalisa

Arachnopeon
The ones I had, The babies started coming off in about nine days

pulled them at ten days

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
All right, now when I get them, should I have them all in the same tank(like 5.5 or 10 gallon), or should I keep them in separate deli containers.

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Emperor scorpions can be kept communally at any age and I've never had a incidence of cannibalism when they were from the same brood. I would keep them communally in a medium to large critter keeper honestly an aquarium is way too big and you'll have trouble moving them too large too early. You can feed them pre-killed one of the biggest problems with raising them from so young is making sure they are finding their food and humidity which will be easy to do in a critter keeper. They also provide sufficient ventilation for post molt.

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sounds good, so I'm guessing like a medium kritter keeper, because the large ones are about the size of 5.5 gallons, I can't wait to get them after they are 2nd instar.