Emperor problems

lindell687

Arachnopeon
recenlty purchased Pandinus imperator his body without tail is about 3 inches long and when seen in sunlight is extremly green looking. Had him for about a week now wouldnt eat a cricket mealworm anything got him out to fix his house that he flipped over and he was sitting on my hand. I decided to try to hand feed him he grabbed the cricket with a front claw then began devouring him at two more after that. Is there a reason he is not hunting on his own? Will he always want to be hand fed?

Thanks

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Why go milk the cows when there is milk in the frig ;)

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
they'll eat but sometimes if there really not that hungry won't go hunting. They'll still take a crix if its right there in their face. I handfeed sometimes directly to the chelicerae.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All my emps are lazy hunters. they'll sit there and either wait for food to come to them or wait for me to tong feed them. two of them i can understand beign like that since one was and the other is gravid... but the male... he's just lazy for no reason...

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
when seen in sunlight is extremly green looking.
I've noticed that too, and I'm thinking it's a very mild fluorescence from the UV that naturally penetrate's the Earth's atmosphere. When I moved mine into the shade they turned black again.

hadrurus 666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
emperors are ambush predators. If it does not seem to be able to catch its crickets it may be because the crickets are too small and fast. Try larger and heavier crickets.

dogeatdog

Arachnopeon
recenlty purchased Pandinus imperator his body without tail is about 3 inches long and when seen in sunlight is extremly green looking. Had him for about a week now wouldnt eat a cricket mealworm anything got him out to fix his house that he flipped over and he was sitting on my hand. I decided to try to hand feed him he grabbed the cricket with a front claw then began devouring him at two more after that. Is there a reason he is not hunting on his own? Will he always want to be hand fed?

Thanks
My adult female emp is also like this :( she will not go out to hunt but instead she finds a corner in the tank and sits there for days.

I always have to feed my scorpion by throwing in 2 crickets and shoving them towards the hiding of my emp with a drumstick and then she starts ripping them into pieces.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Does it look like that to the naked eye? Most cameras are much more sensitive to blue (try photographing a scorp under blacklight :rolleyes:).

lindell687

Arachnopeon
no he looks green to the naked eye i mean no black green in sunlight he doesnt look blue i have only seen him under incandescent light bulbs also seen him under a blacklight does have the "glow" to him took a pic with my phone on my camera seems to be the same.

lindell687

Arachnopeon
well i hand feed him/her another cricket today took it with no reluctancy kind of interesting to watch him eat in your hand. Any suggestions for anthoer scorpion that will hunt on his own and maybe use his stinger?
Thanks

dogeatdog

Arachnopeon

Thanks
Every emp looks green in light. I remember when I first purchased mine the guy who sold it to me offered to set up the cage and he put in some co co fiber and put water all around to make it moist. Some of the water got on the emp and he turned green for a few days.