Emperor or Cavimanus

Axsisdnied

Arachnopeon
I bought what I thought was an emperor but upon close inspection under light you can see red on the chlea and legs. Does this mean it is a cavimanus?? Thanks

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You need to post a picture for use to see what you are talking about. A pic can say more then ten lines of text....;)

Under bright light, P.imperator can also have reddish coloration. There are even brown "emps", so this could be 'intraspecific variation'....

Axsisdnied

Arachnopeon
He's a hider

I will try to get a picture of my Emp next to this one if he ever comes out, he loves to stay burrowed deep.

llamastick

Arachnoknight
Might just be a different color morph/subspecies, emps can range quite a bit in color, especially the iridescence when you shine light on them. I've seen some that are reddish-brown and some nearly jade under bright lighting/camera flash.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Might just be a different color morph/subspecies, emps can range quite a bit in color, especially the iridescence when you shine light on them. I've seen some that are reddish-brown and some nearly jade under bright lighting/camera flash.
subspecies would be an incorrect term. "color morph isn't" ;)

felmor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think it's common for a Emperor to look like cavimanus after molting.. my emperor still has the reddish color 1-2 weeks after he molted. can I post a pic of mine here? nvm, i'll post it for reference only.

cavimanus look alike right?

-felmor

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think it's common for a Emperor to look like cavimanus after molting.. my emperor still has the reddish color 1-2 weeks after he molted. can I post a pic of mine here? nvm, i'll post it for reference only.

-felmor
Colorwise, sure. But the granulation on the claws is all wrong for a cavi. I had an H. Longimanus that kept that same maroon color for a few weeks after a molt.