Emperor in premolt for a month....WTH!!!!!!!!!

snstrflyer

Arachnopeon
Please i need advice. My emperor scorpion has finally gone into premolt for his first molt but has been for a month. When does the actual molt happen? Is this normal? Its really stressing me out. im a wreck. lol I called in to work today to watch him. please any body?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Please i need advice. My emperor scorpion has finally gone into premolt for his first molt but has been for a month. When does the actual molt happen? Is this normal? Its really stressing me out. im a wreck. lol I called in to work today to watch him. please any body?
Keep your pants on :) There is tons of info about emps to be found on AB. This is normal.....don't worry too much :)

snstrflyer

Arachnopeon
I agree that there must be tons of info on this subject but just cant find any on search. Have searched many keywords. I also know that you personnaly hate guys posting new threads with the same questions so thanx for posting. All i want to know is....How long is a typical premolt for a typical emperor. Thanks.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What instar is your scorpion in? It cannot be it's first molt, because they molt for the first time on their mothers back, so you probably meant: the first molt in your care.....At what temp/ humidity do you keep it? What is its feeding schedule?
What size is it? As the scorpions grow larger, the periods (instars) in between the molting get longer...

when you feed Search: "molting P.imperator"...you get several threads ;)

Check out this website:
http://www.pandinusimperator.nl/

Last edited:

llamastick

Arachnoknight
Just because it's somewhat fat doesn't mean it's about to molt immediately. They can take a while and really balloon up right before molting. A picture would help. Emps take a long time to mature, and every molt takes longer than the last.

snstrflyer

Arachnopeon
Well i woke up this morning to find that his tail has come off. The old exotail. but i thought they came out the front all at once?. why would just his tail shed off? is he having problems maybe? hes huge and alert but just shedded his tail. wierd. I hope he dont die. I got him from pet store almost a year ago so i dont know how old or instar stage. Thanks for your help guys. I guess the molt has begun even thoa he hasnt cracked his face opening yet and only his tail shedded. So i guess we wait to see what happens. I got him at 90 degrees and 80-90 percent humidity. For some reason i cant post any pics.

snstrflyer

Arachnopeon
Well everything is great now. He has fully molted and is doing great. Started borrowing again. He is now HUGE and vivid. beautiful. Thanks everybody. pic of molted exoskeleton.

Last edited:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi,

Good to read that it molted without problems! Up to the next molt :)

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Emps eat normally their exoskeleton (in my experience), so I would say, except for the occasional souvenir, leave it with the scorpion(s).

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mine do, and ditto for diplos (in my experience).
Yes, some species have been known to do so...They re-absorb energy by doing this, at least this is the thought behind it. Why not every species does it, it also a question for me....
Tityus species almost always eat the spermatophore after mating, while other species don't do that, that often....

snstrflyer

Arachnopeon
I had no idea that some species eat the exoskeleton. Even now knowing this I still would have removed and kept it as this is my first.

snstrflyer

Arachnopeon
So I really wanted to keep and show off my first scorpion molted exoskeleton so i got a rock and spot glued the exo to it in display position. Looks great.

Last edited:

Mez

Arachnoknight
Thats actually really neat. Id put it in a little acrylic cube or something though, youd hate for it to get squashed or damaged in any way.