Emperor gave birth. - urgent!

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
Okay, so I doubt anyone here remembers me posting about my Emperor long ago when I first got it, but it's giving birth. Right now.

Came back from work, saw it white when I peeked under thought it was molting, that surprised me..
Turned out it has BABIES. Or.. Still is.. Like 10 on her back.. Still more climbing.

What do I do once it's done?
It's 10:54PM, and I haven't fed her since... 1-2 months was the last time she took food.
Please tell me what to do and when to do it.. Either I'm staying up all night or waking up early tomorrow.

I'm worried the young will be eaten and all the hard work.. Gone.
PLEASE HELP. Sort of urgent.

I know I was stupid to disturb it, I read online not to and it was my mistake..
I removed the cork bark over her and now can't put it back since she's really defensive now I'm worried she's eating her young when I wake up tomorrow morning.

edit: You guys were all wrong when you sexed it, lol. Everyone said male, I was asking if you guys were sure etc. and you guys insisted, I'm so happy. (Happy to have babies, not to be right.)

---------- Post added 06-06-2014 at 10:59 PM ----------

She's eating a baby right now, what do I do..

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd put the hide back in close to her, maybe she will go back under it. I don't know, not a whole lot you can do. I had a problem with grain mites on the mom's back not long ago. I didn't have many survivors but I did save about 9(swammerdami btw). Do you think she had grain mites on her back? It looked like the babies stirred up the mites and the mites irritated the babies and the mother, she kept trying to scratch with her tail, knocking the babies off and eating them. It might be common for them to eat one or two, in captivity anyway, don't know what causes it, a lot of theories out there. Some say she's eating the weak ones but it's just a guess. Some fall off, something might be wrong with those, I've seen that before, maybe bent legs or some other strange thing, she will usually eat those. Good luck, I know how it feels. I waited about 4 years with cb swammerdamis to get babies and I screwed up at the end, oh that hurt, glad I saved some though.

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
I'd put the hide back in close to her, maybe she will go back under it. I don't know, not a whole lot you can do. I had a problem with grain mites on the mom's back not long ago. I didn't have many survivors but I did save about 9(swammerdami btw). Do you think she had grain mites on her back? It looked like the babies stirred up the mites and the mites irritated the babies and the mother, she kept trying to scratch with her tail, knocking the babies off and eating them. It might be common for them to eat one or two, in captivity anyway, don't know what causes it, a lot of theories out there. Some say she's eating the weak ones but it's just a guess. Some fall off, something might be wrong with those, I've seen that before, maybe bent legs or some other strange thing, she will usually eat those. Good luck, I know how it feels. I waited about 4 years with cb swammerdamis to get babies and I screwed up at the end, oh that hurt, glad I saved some though.
Appreciate the quick help.
No, there aren't any sort of mites I saw. I left it alone and it's near it's hide but still super aggressive as expected.

And the baby she did eat was one that looked like it had some sort of "birth defect".
Hopefully no more will be eaten.

The humidity is like 60%, should I mist it when she's under her hide tomorrow morning?
In my bed now, leaving her alone.

And, should I run to the LPS tomorrow and pick up a dozen crickets for the mom to eat and feed the young, or do I need to wait longer.. If I need to wait longer, how much longer in days until I need to buy?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They'd naturally stay in their hole with the babies, not looking for food so it's really not natural for them to eat when they are with babies but, they will sometimes, I messed around with that but, nahh, I wouldn't do it until the babies molt again(hopefully) and start to crawl on the ground around the mom. If the substrate is moist, I wouldn't worry about misting, could freak her out. I'm trying to pop out a few over here too, taking forever. Try to avoid vibrations, I would put something on top, it's not a good time for ventilation, you want it still in there and covering the top helps the humidity rise. I use plastic wrap. Something like glass, a few books, anything like that, easy to find stuff to use.

friendttyy

Arachnolord
Dont disturb it. If you do you are adding undue stress to the female which can lead to her eating more babies!

iamthegame06

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i've had a couple of experiences with emperor babies.and my Heterometrus sp. actually just gave birth a couple of weeks ago..here's what i usually do..dont disturb the mom, cover the enclosure with something to keep it dark or carefully transfer the enclosure to a dark place..wait about 3-4 days then throw in 3-5 crickets with its head crushed (depending on the cricket size) try your best not to stress the mom out while doing so..the mom will feed it to the babies, the crickets dont need to be alive, the mom will scavenge for food at night..in about 7-10 days the babies will start coming down from moms back, when that happens i carefully transfer the babies to a smaller delicup using a plastic spoon and a small paint brush..then i throw in a dead cricket or two about once a week to their new home..not saying this is the only way to take care of them, and iam in no means a scorpion expert but it has worked for me so far, i've never had a dead scorpling either as they are pretty hardy..and oh one more thing! keep the humidity up! hope that helps! PM me if you have any other questions :D

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Leave her alone. The more you peek, poke, prod or hover the more likely she is to cannibalize.

You haven't fed her in 1 to 2 months? Why?

Once the babies are off her back she'll be wanting to eat and feed her babies. I feed my communals once a week and they seem to do fine.

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
Leave her alone. The more you peek, poke, prod or hover the more likely she is to cannibalize.

You haven't fed her in 1 to 2 months? Why?

Once the babies are off her back she'll be wanting to eat and feed her babies. I feed my communals once a week and they seem to do fine.
She didn't accept food every week I tried. Or, more like everyday.

---------- Post added 06-07-2014 at 07:00 AM ----------

They'd naturally stay in their hole with the babies, not looking for food so it's really not natural for them to eat when they are with babies but, they will sometimes, I messed around with that but, nahh, I wouldn't do it until the babies molt again(hopefully) and start to crawl on the ground around the mom. If the substrate is moist, I wouldn't worry about misting, could freak her out. I'm trying to pop out a few over here too, taking forever. Try to avoid vibrations, I would put something on top, it's not a good time for ventilation, you want it still in there and covering the top helps the humidity rise. I use plastic wrap. Something like glass, a few books, anything like that, easy to find stuff to use.
Substrate is pretty dry.
What should I do then?

Mist one side of the cage carefully?

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She didn't accept food every week I tried. Or, more like everyday.

---------- Post added 06-07-2014 at 07:00 AM ----------

Substrate is pretty dry.
What should I do then?

Mist one side of the cage carefully?
Did you leave prey in with her for any length of time? My emps have all been voracious eaters unless in premolt or have babies on their backs.
How deep is the substrate? Does she have ample depth to burrow?

"Misting" does little to adequately dampen or humidify. It needs to "rain" in the enclosure periodically. Or you can pour water around the the tank to dampen substrate and boost humidity. You may have to decrease ventilation if it's drying out too quickly.

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
Did you leave prey in with her for any length of time? My emps have all been voracious eaters unless in premolt or have babies on their backs.
How deep is the substrate? Does she have ample depth to burrow?

"Misting" does little to adequately dampen or humidify. It needs to "rain" in the enclosure periodically. Or you can pour water around the the tank to dampen substrate and boost humidity. You may have to decrease ventilation if it's drying out too quickly.
Mine didn't eat any food for a while.

No, I leave a male dubia roach in there overnight (when it's an attempt to feed, last attempt was like 2 days ago, before this happened), and take it out in the morning if not eaten.
Mine isn't really the voracious type, but it does eat crickets well when I first got her and fed her some.

It's 5 or so inches, and she already digged on the corner quiet a bit down, about a centimeter from the substrate from hitting the mesh separating the substrate from the false bottom I set up with 1" of rocks on the bottom.

So for the misting/'raining', should I do it or not?
If not, how can I raise the humidity when the substrate is pretty dry but there is a water bowl. I have tape over more than half of the screen top to prevent evaporation (I did that a long time ago), do I need even more coverage?

I feel like I really need to raise the humidity, especially for the babies, and it'll only be really efficient to mist and then cover but I don't know. Lol.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mine didn't eat any food for a while.

No, I leave a male dubia roach in there overnight (when it's an attempt to feed, last attempt was like 2 days ago, before this happened), and take it out in the morning if not eaten.
Mine isn't really the voracious type, but it does eat crickets well when I first got her and fed her some.

It's 5 or so inches, and she already digged on the corner quiet a bit down, about a centimeter from the substrate from hitting the mesh separating the substrate from the false bottom I set up with 1" of rocks on the bottom.

So for the misting/'raining', should I do it or not?
If not, how can I raise the humidity when the substrate is pretty dry but there is a water bowl. I have tape over more than half of the screen top to prevent evaporation (I did that a long time ago), do I need even more coverage?

I feel like I really need to raise the humidity, especially for the babies, and it'll only be really efficient to mist and then cover but I don't know. Lol.
I have about 90% or more of my screen lids wrapped with plastic wrap. Before I got my heavy duty mister, I just poured water in once a week. One litre in the 20 gallon tank and about 3 litres in the 50 gallon. But, I also have about 8 - 10 inches of substrate. I still sometimes just pour water in if I don't have time to make it 'rain'.

My first two generations wouldn't touch roaches at all, still don't. They would cohab with them for months. The third generation eats anything that doesn't eat them first. Mealworms and superworms are a definite favorite of Emperors, and easy to keep.

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
I have about 90% or more of my screen lids wrapped with plastic wrap. Before I got my heavy duty mister, I just poured water in once a week. One litre in the 20 gallon tank and about 3 litres in the 50 gallon. But, I also have about 8 - 10 inches of substrate. I still sometimes just pour water in if I don't have time to make it 'rain'.

My first two generations wouldn't touch roaches at all, still don't. They would cohab with them for months. The third generation eats anything that doesn't eat them first. Mealworms and superworms are a definite favorite of Emperors, and easy to keep.
So, I started to pour water around from a bottle of water and she went in her hide.
So, I got out the sprayer and sprayed a decent amount since the top substrate was really dry.

Will cover more of it then, with some books or tape if I can find some.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So, I started to pour water around from a bottle of water and she went in her hide.
So, I got out the sprayer and sprayed a decent amount since the top substrate was really dry.

Will cover more of it then, with some books or tape if I can find some.
Do you have plastic wrap, like Saran wrap?

friendttyy

Arachnolord
Do you have a water bowl? Substrate moisture HAS NOTHING to do hith humidity! Ventilation and water bowls in the enclosure does. If you mist please mist on the opposite end of the hide. The water particles can go into the hide and stresses the female. You should start feeding once all or most scorplings have started walking around. Just got all this info from research!

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
Do you have plastic wrap, like Saran wrap?
Yes, I do.
How can I use it to keep in humidity?

---------- Post added 06-07-2014 at 10:45 AM ----------

Do you have a water bowl? Substrate moisture HAS NOTHING to do hith humidity! Ventilation and water bowls in the enclosure does. If you mist please mist on the opposite end of the hide. The water particles can go into the hide and stresses the female. You should start feeding once all or most scorplings have started walking around. Just got all this info from research!
I couldn't find much when I searched, since I don't use those care sheets and can't find much on AB.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, I do.
How can I use it to keep in humidity?

---------- Post added 06-07-2014 at 10:45 AM ----------

I couldn't find much when I searched, since I don't use those care sheets and can't find much on AB.
If you have a screen top, wrap it with saran wrap, leaving an inch or two open on either end to allow ventilation.
On my tanks (see pics in thread below) the only openings I have in the plastic wrap are the areas where the lamps sit.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?246205-Maternal-P.-imperators/page2

There is at least one sticky, and multiple threads on AB on keeping Pandinus imperator. i.e. -
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?11336-Basic-emperor-scorpion-(P.-imperator)-care.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?103121-Emperor-Scorpion-questions/page3
Here is another site that has a wealth of info:
http://www.pandinusimperator.nl/EN/story_EN.htm

Substrate moisture HAS NOTHING to do with humidity! If you mist please mist on the opposite end of the hide. The water particles can go into the hide and stresses the female.
I don't know about your neck of the woods, but here in North America, if you have heat, reduced ventilation and moist/damp substrate, the humidity will rise. A wide shallow water bowl is important, too. Live plants also boost humidity.

Does it stop raining in the wild when Emperors have their young?
Two of my females still have babies on their backs. One clutch was born just a few days ago. I caused it to rain in their enclosure yesterday, as I do every week. They are used to periodic falling water. It is a natural occurrence. I don't hose the scorpions down, they were in their burrow. Water does trickle down into the burrows. What they are unduly stressed by is keepers lifting hides, poking around, etc.

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
If you have a screen top, wrap it with saran wrap, leaving an inch or two open on either end to allow ventilation.
On my tanks (see pics in thread below) the only openings I have in the plastic wrap are the areas where the lamps sit.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?246205-Maternal-P.-imperators/page2

There is at least one sticky, and multiple threads on AB on keeping Pandinus imperator. i.e. -
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?11336-Basic-emperor-scorpion-(P.-imperator)-care.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?103121-Emperor-Scorpion-questions/page3
Here is another site that has a wealth of info:
http://www.pandinusimperator.nl/EN/story_EN.htm

I don't know about your neck of the woods, but here in North America, if you have heat, reduced ventilation and moist/damp substrate, the humidity will rise. A wide shallow water bowl is important, too. Live plants also boost humidity.

Does it stop raining in the wild when Emperors have their young?
Two of my females still have babies on their backs. One clutch was born just a few days ago. I caused it to rain in their enclosure yesterday, as I do every week. They are used to periodic falling water. It is a natural occurrence. I don't hose the scorpions down, they were in their burrow. Water does trickle down into the burrows. What they are unduly stressed by is keepers lifting hides, poking around, etc.
So, leave it alone, mist, until they hit 2nd instar.
Once they hit 2nd instar, gently seperate them out, or put them in groups of 4, then take care of them like pretty much a normal Emp?

That's it?

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So, leave it alone, mist, until they hit 2nd instar.
Once they hit 2nd instar, gently seperate them out, or put them in groups of 4, then take care of them like pretty much a normal Emp?

That's it?
I've never separated mine that young, but many people do. I've watched the mamas and sub adult females continue to break up and hand out food to the babies until the babies were about 3 months/2 inches old.

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
I've never separated mine that young, but many people do. I've watched the mamas and sub adult females continue to break up and hand out food to the babies until the babies were about 3 months/2 inches old.
Meh, I can't really do that too well with a 10 gallon, can I?

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Depends on the number of babies. Last year I had a female separated to ship, then the sale fell through. I 'temporarily' housed her in a 2.5 gallon. 'Temporary' turned out to be several months and 23 babies later. It was a tight fit, but they seemed to do okay. Big, strapping babies! I rehoused when the babies were about 2". Actually, I sold 13 babies at that size and moved mama and the remaining 10 into the big communal with the other mamas and babies.