Emperor Breeding Attempt - what the heck did I see?

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I read on here a few months ago that someone observed their emps breeding almost instantly upon reintroduction following a several month-long separation. I also read that a few people suggest separating gravid females, and also read that most WC females are already gravid. So, keeping all this in mind, I separated my male from my female a month or two ago. I just reintroduced them this morning to see what would happen.

I should say that my male hates everybody. Once he was in the female's tank, after a few minutes of holding open his 'palps to show me he meant business, he seemed to realize there was another scorpion in his midst. No mating attempt, though. I left them alone and checked back a few minutes later to see what appeared to be the male biting one of the female's legs! :? His chela were grasping one of her legs and he was holding another with one of his palps.

I wasn't sure if he was really hungry (despite turning down a tasty mealworm last night), really territorial, or that this was some bizarre form of scorpion foreplay, so I separated them again. The female was uninjured.

Does anybody know what it was I was seeing? I doubt that he mistook the bitten leg for her chela and the grasped one for her palp . . . I didn't jump the gun in separating them, did I?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
P imps are a little strange. I have seen some kept in groups for long periods with no problems yet as soon as you introduce new individuals they fight.
Now just because it ignored a meal worm doesnt mean its well fed. I have NEVER been able to get a scorpion to feed very well on those things and I have around 300! Throw in som crix and see if you dont see a different response.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
He leapt at one (and ate) from the forceps last week, and the female nibbles on them when I offer.