Emp Scorpion (Vin Diesel)

Rampantsoto

Arachnopeon
Recently purchased a baby emp, and I fell in love with how cool these guys can be. I keep him in a 10lt fish tank with the recommended flooring coco something. I also grabbed two little hidings spots for him and a tropical plant to make him feel at home. I think he likes the set up since i haven't seen him in two days.

Juvenile Vin Diesel

Diesel Paradise

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow, fat chela on that one and still not an adult yet, still at least one molt to go, hard to tell how big it is in the pic. It looks a little dry in there though, You could prob pour about a quart of water in there and it would be OK after the fiber soaks up the water. I don't let the substrate dry out with emps.

Rampantsoto

Arachnopeon
Wow, fat chela on that one and still not an adult yet, still at least one molt to go, hard to tell how big it is in the pic. It looks a little dry in there though, You could prob pour about a quart of water in there and it would be OK after the fiber soaks up the water. I don't let the substrate dry out with emps.
The pet store guy told me hes really big for a juvenile. It must be the lighting I used for the picture. I mist the tank really often and water the hell out of the plan so its pretty nice in there. Thanks for the post.

Rampantsoto

Arachnopeon
Based on the first photo I would say way too little substrate and it looks quite dry to me. I use like 15 cm (6"). Also, I use 3 different layers, including some sand/clay: it makes better burrowing material IMO. See: http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2008/03/20/pandinus-imperator-terrarium.html
Yeah the first photo isn't his actual tank. I moved him into a bigger one when i was done setting it up. My earlier post explains that the reddish lighting I used for the photo makes it look dry. It's about 4-5 inches in some spots and 6 inches plus where I put his caves.

This is my first scorpion and I really love that idea of having multi-layers. In about 3 months i'll be cleaning his tank and will definitely do this.

Slimdean

Arachnopeon

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah the first photo isn't his actual tank. I moved him into a bigger one when i was done setting it up. My earlier post explains that the reddish lighting I used for the photo makes it look dry. It's about 4-5 inches in some spots and 6 inches plus where I put his caves.

This is my first scorpion and I really love that idea of having multi-layers. In about 3 months i'll be cleaning his tank and will definitely do this.
It looks very cool, the layers. I can highly recommend to use pothos (plant sp.) to give emp tanks a more jungle look. They don't care much about little light and in my experience grow slow. It's fun to see an emperor climb one and struggle with the leafs.

Rampantsoto

Arachnopeon
It looks very cool, the layers. I can highly recommend to use pothos (plant sp.) to give emp tanks a more jungle look. They don't care much about little light and in my experience grow slow. It's fun to see an emperor climb one and struggle with the leafs.
Yeah I love making it look almost like your tanking the scorpion and his home right into your room. I went to home debot and couldn't find a lot of small plants that didn't need a lot of sunlight, But I really like mine only downside is that crickets really like climbing it.

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I feed my emps mostly superworms (after I cut their heads off). Crickets do climb, but in the end, the scorpions do get them.

Rampantsoto

Arachnopeon
I feed my emps mostly superworms (after I cut their heads off). Crickets do climb, but in the end, the scorpions do get them.
I was gonna give my emp a caterpillar next. Hey since you know a lot about emps can I ask you a few questions?

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was gonna give my emp a caterpillar next. Hey since you know a lot about emps can I ask you a few questions?
Some caterpillars are toxic bombs, so I wouldn't do it.

I've been keeping Emps relatively short, but fire away.

BTW: this is how the terrarium looks currently:

Not a very good photo, but it shows how nice the pothos looks.

Last edited:

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very good link, Im gonna use a dry version of this for my H.arizonesis :) He isnt burrowing much in just calci-sand.
no arachnid should be on calcisand. the calcium can cause major molting issues. Get playground sand and bake it for 30 minutes and use it.

Rampantsoto

Arachnopeon
I wanted to know if you drop the crickets or w/e your feeding your scorpion into the tank and just let them walk around freely inside or do you take the scorpion out of his barrow and show him that he has food inside the tank.

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nobody in the wild is going to get a scorpion out of its burrow and show them there's food. It's not like they expect home delivery (by humans). I normally drop in a few crickets. The pothos provides some safety for the crickets so they are being eaten over the course of a few days (I keep several juvenile emps together, so no worries about food that might start attacking molting scorps).