Emp. Scorpion questions

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey all, picked up my first P.Imperator today. I had a few questions:

1. I have a ceramic heat lamp with bonus glow feature. Would it be wise, since I live in Southern California, to leave the light on only at night? Or can I just leave it on and off during the day and then completely off at night? (Normally, the room temp drops to maybe 65F inside the room at night.)

2. Is it highly necessary to have a humidity monitor? I'm basically using the old setup for an T that i originally had to move to another enclosure. (I have layered coconut fiber substrate on top of Zoo Med small bark chips that I soaked in water before layering on the bottom of the enclosure.) Like some T's, can I just mist the substrate once a day and will that take care of the humidity issue?

3.Would you say this setup is appropriate?

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
set up looks good, as long as you don't want the scorp to burrow. one thing i would do is cover about 2/3 of the lid with plexi or even card board to keep the humidity up.

For heat i use a 25 watt red heat bulb and i leave it on almost all the time. i only really turn it off at night when the temps are still high. It probably won't hurt the scorp to turn the light off at night, though.

Last edited:

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Setup looks great. I usually do a 12hr on off heat bulb cycle, but for emps i leave it on a few hours longer. If you want more accurate humidity/temp readings u can get a digital...though with my experience my analog ones have been very close to my digital one. Your enclosure dosnt look to moist so perhaps the reading it correct. Like already said, if you mist once a day it will dry up in no time inless u cover part of the screen with something. Size looks fine, is that a 5.5g? Looks like you have done your research and know what your doing for the most part.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I live in socal too and have a ceramic heat lamp. What I do is I leave on every day all day but depending on what kind of day I move further away.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
thanks guys! yeah, she was super active last night. i mean, for at least 2 hours after I turned the lamp off, i could hear her crawling around and tapping the glass with her pincers. i have that glow feature on there so I was able to see her moving around in the "artificial moonlight". very cool.

iNick

Arachnopeon
thanks guys! yeah, she was super active last night. i mean, for at least 2 hours after I turned the lamp off, i could hear her crawling around and tapping the glass with her pincers. i have that glow feature on there so I was able to see her moving around in the "artificial moonlight". very cool.
I heard that if you have the glow light on alot that it will stress it out and may kill it. But im not for sure on that...

[[Correct me if im wrong]]

And btw I love your tank setup!

GeneralNoobzor

Arachnopeon
I heard that if you have the glow light on alot that it will stress it out and may kill it. But im not for sure on that...

[[Correct me if im wrong]]

And btw I love your tank setup!
Not so much stress, but the radiation from the UV light will absorb into the scorpion. Too much radiation = DEAD or RETARD. Seriously....