Emp injury

wsimms

Arachnodaddy
Old Timer
Help!
I've just noticed that my largest Emp, a male, has a "divot" on the
cephalad edge of the dorsal surface of the last tergite. The intersegmental membrane there also looks like it may have been penetrated at some time in the past, but has sealed itself up. The last segment before the metasoma is also slightly cocked to one side. I have had him for about a month, and he lives with two smaller females and a smaller male. I think he probably had this injury when I received him, and have just gotten around to noticing this. I have observed him eating recently. Is there anything I should do, and what are the odds he'll be O.K.?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
If he's not leaking, then there should be no immediate concern -- at least not of the type you can deal with. With the possible exception of sealing up open wounds, there is really nothing you can do to help an ailing scorpion other than provide good conditions. If they are going to die, they will die. If they are going to pull through, they are going to pull through.

Cheers,
Dave

wsimms

Arachnodaddy
Old Timer
Thank you. Of course, this would have to happen to my favorite emp. Do scorpions regenerate/repair with molting, like tarantulas? I don't know if this guy is mature-his telson's brown, not tan like my obvious sub-adults. Can an injury like this cause molting difficulties?

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
If the scorpion is a mature adult it will not molt again unlike a tarantula can. If it is not an adult, it can regain all or part of limbs and repair damage in several molts.

John
];')

wsimms

Arachnodaddy
Old Timer
Thanks. So far I've seen him feed twice since I first noticed the injury, so I think he is probably O.K.