Emp bought at petco, heavy premolt or pregnant? And some more Qs

Unravel

Arachnosquire
bought at a local petco, is he/she gravid or in premolt?

Also i was sure i had a low wattage IR light at home.. well i got home and i just cant find it. If she is indeed pregnant i want to provide her the best possible conditions, will she be okay overnight sitting on top of the dubia bin at about 75-80F until i can go get an IR light tomorrow morning?

thank you guys

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/Sabotag3sl/emperator.jpg?t=1300666593

Last edited:

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
bought at a local petco, is he/she gravid or in premolt?

Also i was sure i had a low wattage IR light at home.. well i got home and i just cant find it. If she is indeed pregnant i want to provide her the best possible conditions, will she be okay overnight sitting on top of the dubia bin at about 75-80F until i can go get an IR light tomorrow morning?

thank you guys

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/Sabotag3sl/emperator.jpg?t=1300666593
I'm not certain, but I would say it might just be plump (that's okay, it is not too fat, don't worry;)) or in a premolt. I don't think it is gravid. I don't know about the lighting or the heat, but if it is a gravid female, you may want to remove her if she is in a communal cage and just make sure she is warm, right humidity, etc. Good luck!;)

OlBoyT

Arachnopeon
They over feed there animals. Put it on a diet in till its plates are closer together when its at a healthy weight.

Unravel

Arachnosquire
are you guys sure shes not pregnant? there were 7 other scorps living communally and she was by far the fattest with maybe 2-3 having the white line on the side.. she was the ONLY one with plates so far apart. Any particular reason you guys think she's not pregnant but just fat?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No nobody knows for sure. It sure could be gravid and probably is if it's an adult female. That's what they do(besides eating), they get preg if they aren't already and a male is around. And unlike some other species, the darker pleural membrane the emps have are usually too dark for seeing embryos inside if it is gravid.

Chrome69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks fat, if it is gravid it's an early stage and no one can positively ID it as gravid yet.
Still pretty good chance it is but will just have to wait about 3 months.

Unravel

Arachnosquire
thank you, guess we'll see, somewhere i read that if you basically see their heart (spine looking thing on the back) then they are most likely pregnant, not fat, and that's what was confusing me. Thank you again!

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

female right?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All kinds of rumors get started, it's crazy. People make guesses thinking they are right and state their guesses as facts, other people read it and believe it getting the ball rolling. Yeah that's the heart, waaay too thick too be a nerve cord any little invert would need. "Fat" and "gravid" have the same basic look but I have a hunch there might be a slight difference in shape of the body with fat vs. gravid, no way to really tell for sure though.

Unravel

Arachnosquire
All kinds of rumors get started, it's crazy. People make guesses thinking they are right and state their guesses as facts, other people read it and believe it getting the ball rolling. Yeah that's the heart, waaay too thick too be a nerve cord any little invert would need. "Fat" and "gravid" have the same basic look but I have a hunch there might be a slight difference in shape of the body with fat vs. gravid, no way to really tell for sure though.
thank you galapoheros, makes perfect sense, these don't seem to be as studied as Ts haha. Well its a female, and it spent a lot of time with males, so we'll see what happens lol. I just want my own little colony ; )

thanks again!

Chrome69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, it's a female, short wave pectines means female, long straight ones means male.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The problem is that you bought it from Petco. They feed their scorpions about every day usually. I bet it's just taken care of incorrectly, not pregnant. I believe that it would be more likely that the animal is just not taken care of properly, because its Petco, rather than pregnant.

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah they have a sign that says feed daily and will glow green under black light on the enclosure of the scorpion, at least the petcos here do