Emp age, sizes and molting.

Noxocubed

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Has anyone got a chart or something simular that tells you the age to molt and size ranges for emperor scorpions?

Mine was pretty big when I got him so I am a little dissapointed because I probally wont get to see him molt/grow much (if ever). I measured 'Pincent' (as he has become known in our house) and he is about 6 inches from 'face' to the end of his tail. His body is nearly an inch wide, will he ever molt again or is this it now? I think the fellow in the shop said he was over a year old but I could be wrong as I wasnt there at the time and only have the knowledge third hand.

And, is it normal for him to lie flat and have his claws extremly far apart with his 'mouth' area wide open (like he's singing opera on some frequency I cant hear?) Also, I keep finding him with his tail curled right the way over, sting in his own mouth, arse right in the air. And, he sometimes does this weird 'press ups/push ups' thing like scorpion squats or something like that, whats all this behavior mean?

Sorry to ask so many (probaly dumb) questions. :? :)

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
And, is it normal for him to lie flat and have his claws extremly far apart with his 'mouth' area wide open (like he's singing opera on some frequency I cant hear?) Also, I keep finding him with his tail curled right the way over, sting in his own mouth, arse right in the air. And, he sometimes does this weird 'press ups/push ups' thing like scorpion squats or something like that, whats all this behavior mean?
Mine do as you noted here, 'Arms' wide and 'claws' open with 'mouth' agape seems to be "the waiting for food to come by" stance, the 'stinger' in the 'mouth' seems as if they are 'preening' themselves like a cat or a bird, I even have mine go into the water dish and actually wash themselves with their 'tail'.

This is a video of my female bathing (no nudity / Work Safe :D )...

[YOUTUBE]7O30pd7sJcI[/YOUTUBE]

Noxocubed

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thats a great vid! I must get a bigger, deeper water bowl now, so mine can do the whole submerging thing! She seems like a very big girl, is she going to molt soon or something?:)

Well, its good to know my scorps ok, I thought he might be having trouble breathing.

What type of camera do you use by the way?

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks alot 'Noxocubed'. She's been big like that since Sept/Oct I think (hope) she may be gravid. :p

I used to have my 20g L tank setup with a pool nearly 15.25W x 31.5L x 7.5cm deep and a gravel decline into the water at one end, they would fully submerge for several minutes, washing, crawling and lounging around under water. ;)

The camera I use is a Sony® Handycam DCR-SR80 {D

Noxocubed

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks alot 'Noxocubed'. She's been big like that since Sept/Oct I think (hope) she may be gravid. :p

I used to have my 20g L tank setup with a pool nearly 15.25W x 31.5L x 7.5cm deep and a gravel decline into the water at one end, they would fully submerge for several minutes, washing, crawling and lounging around under water. ;)
Sounds cool, how many live in a tank that large?

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I try to keep it at 1 P. Imp. per 5 gal, I keep 3 - 4 in a 20gal L. :cool:

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sounds like your emp has a molt left in it. They are usually a bigger than 6 inches 'face to outstretched tail'. My female is ~8" and my male ~10". The body length without tail is usually 3-5 inches.