Emergency Hydration

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
So, after taking her out of ICU, I posted an update on my E. Murinus's status in a separate post...she is still clinging to life, a little more active now and spinning webs again..and although she is walking a little better on her folded leg, she still looks and acts very weak..and her abdomen is still on the small side. She has not tried to eat the roaches Ive put in for her..and she wont drink. I was curious as to whether or not there was a way to hydrate a spider, or in some way, force it to drink? How about getting some nutrition into her somehow...I have a feeling that if she would actually eat or drink, she might pull through. Any help would be appreciated.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
The purpose of the ICU, is to hydrate the spider.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Your best bet would be letting her there with no stress at all.

That means, no food, no oepning the lidd, nothing.

Leave her in a quiet place, really humid and warm, and lets see how she does.

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
What the max period of time a T can be left in ICU? I was told that after so many days, you should take it out and try putting it back in its original environment...? Ive never had to place any of my T's in ICU before, so this is new to me.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There is no max or minimum amount of time.. Leave it in an ICU until you feel she is back to normal health & able to be placed back in her home...

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Also.. If you are worried about it being dehydrated.. Dont even bother with food.. Just offer high humidity, wet tissue, water dish if the spider is large enough for one, dark, quite, & warm place...

Then all you can do is wait.. If the spider is strong enough to survive.. It will without being bothered..

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What the max period of time a T can be left in ICU? I was told that after so many days, you should take it out and try putting it back in its original environment...? Ive never had to place any of my T's in ICU before, so this is new to me.
From http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/icu10.html:

You can leave a tarantula in an ICU for one or two days, maybe even a third day at a time. But after that the bacterial growth on the paper towel (especially if the tarantula vomited or defecated) and even on the tarantula itself can become dangerous. We strongly urge that you thoroughly clean or set up a new ICU every second or third day. Preparing that second ICU in advance (see above) comes in real handy at this point.

After about six days in an ICU it's probably a good idea to remove the tarantula to its cage and allow it to dry out for the afternoon, if not a full day. This will help to control bacterial and fungal infections on its body. You can always return it to a cleaned ICU later if necessary.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Also, it's species dependent. You could leave a H. gigas in an ICU for weeks, and not have a problem, try it with C. cyaneopubescens even for a couple days and you have a dead spider.

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
So I am happy to report progress. She has been in ICU for almost 3 days now and her abdomen has since doubled in size. She is still wobbly and walking on her folded legs, but much more active than she was. I will keep her in there another day and then try putting her back in her enclosure. Ill keep you guys posted.

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
Can you post a picture of the crippled legs?
Here are some pictures...she walks on all of them, but puts pressure on the second segments rather than the first..its hard to see in the picture..they do act crippled though..there is no other way to describe it..maybe I could get a video of her walking later..but here are pictures for now.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you for the pictures.

Thats pretty nasty man i hope that it heals up good as new with the next molt, make sure to keep us posted I will definitely watch this thread.

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks like a "wet molt". Hit the search and compare the pics and let us know?

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
I couldnt find any really good pictures, but that makes sense. She is starting to get more defensive (like she should be) so Im guessing she is starting to feel better. Im going to take her out of ICU tomorrow. See how she does.

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
This sounds like my Girl alexandra.

My g.Rosea Just recently went through a bad molt, She lost a leg and Another looks similar to your t's. Although it's not to this extend as its only one, she's doing fine. She walks on it, and it bends every which way but she uses it just fine.

Here's a picture, not the best but you can see that she puts pressure on the joint, not the 'foot'

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
I though my GBB's back legs looked kinda like that this morning . . . she molted yesterday. Nothing to worry about? Spider seems fine, though I haven't been able to observe her much since then.

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
I though my GBB's back legs looked kinda like that this morning . . . she molted yesterday. Nothing to worry about? Spider seems fine, though I haven't been able to observe her much since then.

Well right after a Molt their Legs will be a bit wobbly and soft. And no I dont think it's anything to worry about. We'll see next molt if that leg of hers Stops being dragged. If it was harmfull to the spyder, they would have dropped them. Do you normally keep crickets in your cage at all times? if so that could be a cause.

op- I hope she pulls through. Seems like they put all their energy into getting better.