Emergency - Dead or Alive

KevinLee

Arachnopeon
Is he Dead :(( ?
So this is my sling Fireleg. He has stopped eating since 12 Nov 2020. And on Sunday 29 2020 at 3a.m, he started lying down like in the picture. That time his legs were still moving a bit. But from that morning up until now (8am Monday 30 Nov) there is no signs of movement. So I tried to add extra humidity but still haveno clue at all.
Im gettting stressed since I have no idea whether he is dead or in the process of before getting into molting.
Any advices or hope would be really appreciated.

Attachments

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
By fireleg do you mean Brachypelma Bohemei? It is definitely over fed, but when they molt it should be on their backs. Brachypelma like it dry. For a sling they need a little more moisture, but yours looks far too wet. Since it's not curled up, I'm inclined to think its still alive. Have you tried gently tapping him with a paint brush and seeing if there's any movement?

KevinLee

Arachnopeon
By fireleg do you mean Brachypelma Bohemei? It is definitely over fed, but when they molt it should be on their backs. Brachypelma like it dry. For a sling they need a little more moisture, but yours looks far too wet. Since it's not curled up, I'm inclined to think its still alive. Have you tried gently tapping him with a paint brush and seeing if there's any movement?
Yes, it is a Brachypelma Bohemei.
And yes I have touched it, and there are no signs of movement @.@.
I only fed him once every 5 to 7 days, @.@ maybe the mealworm is too big( as long as his abdomen + head).
And its abdomen was a bit round, it wasnt like that in the picture. It has that that odd shape that Sunday morning like he was trying to break free.
I was stressed waiting and seeing him lying still, so I add a lot of water in hope that he will not get stuck in his old carapace.
:( is there a chance that my spider is still in the process of molting?

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Sounds like he had a bad molt and passed on. Was he on his back at any point? Doesn't look good, sorry.

KevinLee

Arachnopeon
Sounds like he had a bad molt and passed on. Was he on his back at any point? Doesn't look good, sorry.
No, he wasn't on his back. He just lied there, lifted his legs up, and ... just like that...
:( aw sad

And thank you for answering my question,at least I wont put too much hope on waiting now. ^^ it helps a lot.

Last edited:

justanotherTkeeper

Arachnosquire
Looks like it was molting right-side-up. Tarantulas do this sometimes, and it can work out, but maybe not this time.

If it hasn't moved for days, I think it died trying to molt the wrong way

KevinLee

Arachnopeon
Looks like it was molting right-side-up. Tarantulas do this sometimes, and it can work out, but maybe not this time.

If it hasn't moved for days, I think it died trying to molt the wrong way
:(( aw sounds so so sad

But at least I know wat gonna happen.

Thank you for answering my question ^^

Tried to molt right-side up, had adults do it.
I have no idea, I bought him 1.5 month ago.
Maybe I have overfed him like @Tarantuland said, then he was too fat to flip over, I saw him tried to climbed up his tiny little cave that I made but couldnt. So he went back inside and lied there.
@.@

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I have no idea, I bought him 1.5 month ago.
Maybe I have overfed him like @Tarantuland said, then he was too fat to flip over, I saw him tried to climbed up his tiny little cave that I made but couldnt. So he went back inside and lied there.
@.@
An overfed tarantula has nothing to do with bad molts. Yes, while a fat tarantula is detrimental to their health overall, it doesn't mean it leads to bad molts. You just had a specimen that tried to molt upside and wasn't lucky. Sorry for your lost and I hope you the best.

KevinLee

Arachnopeon
An overfed tarantula has nothing to do with bad molts. Yes, while a fat tarantula is detrimental to their health overall, it doesn't mean it leads to bad molts. You just had a specimen that tried to molt upside and wasn't lucky. Sorry for your lost and I hope you the best.
Well new experience and knowledge ^^
Thank you so much, i really appreciate that. ^^ i hope you the best too

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Sorry for your loss. I just went through a sling that had a bad molt the other day and didn’t make it. Don’t let it discourage you from trying again.

KevinLee

Arachnopeon
Sorry for your loss. I just went through a sling that had a bad molt the other day and didn’t make it. Don’t let it discourage you from trying again.
Im sr for your loss too. Well there is nothing we can do beside waiting and observing thou. Hope we have luck next time ei^^.
And thank you, i feel much much better now.

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
I’ve read on here before that slings are more susceptible to a bad moult experience because they haven’t “learned” how to do it properly and sometimes they can make mistakes. Obviously it’s a skill they’ve evolved to have over many many years, but I dunno. Like a baby having to learn things I guess. I’m sorry for your loss. Like the above said, don’t let it discourage you. It doesn’t look like it was an issue on your part, sadly just one of those things that’s unavoidable.

KevinLee

Arachnopeon
I’ve read on here before that slings are more susceptible to a bad moult experience because they haven’t “learned” how to do it properly and sometimes they can make mistakes. Obviously it’s a skill they’ve evolved to have over many many years, but I dunno. Like a baby having to learn things I guess. I’m sorry for your loss. Like the above said, don’t let it discourage you. It doesn’t look like it was an issue on your part, sadly just one of those things that’s unavoidable.
Yea I was hoping a lot up until today (3 dec 2020). I leave him be and today I saw mold starts to grow on him. I accept that He is completely dead now :( ... that is so strange that some actually molt upright but with more risk thou. Sigh ... still , i have no idea about what to do when it happens again.
And thank you a lot ^^ it makes me feel better. Hope you the best^^

jay444

Arachnosquire
Could a overfed sling (or T) have a harder time flipping on its back to molt?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Could a overfed sling (or T) have a harder time flipping on its back to molt?
No, I've had fat T.'s flip over without issues regardless of what kind sling it is whether it is a Theraphosa, Tlilitocatl, Brachypelma, etc.

jay444

Arachnosquire
Yea I was hoping a lot up until today (3 dec 2020). I leave him be and today I saw mold starts to grow on him. I accept that He is completely dead now :( ... that is so strange that some actually molt upright but with more risk thou. Sigh ... still , i have no idea about what to do when it happens again.
And thank you a lot ^^ it makes me feel better. Hope you the best^^
Sorry for your loss, its it always sad