EMERGENCY! Cold weather, no electricity

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Its supposed to get down to 5 degrees tonight and we've lost our power. (It JUST came back on as I'm writing this)

I've got my T and scorpion up in a bookshelf and I was filling it up with shirts and sweaters and stuff, and I wanted to get some input from u guys as to my chances of saving my two inverts.

Here's a pic of what I've done so far. Input is very welcome as to what I should do further in case the electricity goes out again.

I don't think I have any heat packs but will look.

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

It's currently 68 degrees but I've turned on the bathroom heater to heat my room up in case the power goes out again.

I really hope it doesn't, it was out for about an hour and I thought it was gonna be out all night.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
crank the heater up and shut the door of a room. insulated them with as many clothes as possible.

Good luck.

Johnny1320

Arachnopeon
Boil some water and maybe rig something so you can keep their enclosures over the hot/warm pot(s)?

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Should I cover the enclosures completely even though it will cover the air holes?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah. Tarantulas and things dont breath like humans. they could live for days with no air holes. just make sure you keep them warm.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
It gets as low as the high 60s where my Ts are at night during the winter sometimes, and they're all still kicking. So if your powers back on and it's 68, I think you're in the clear... Unless the power goes out again.

Puppet Master

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry to hear,
I always have a few of those Grabber heat packs handy for emergencies just like this, they put out good heat for a longtime and are very inexpensive.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It gets as low as the high 60s where my Ts are at night during the winter sometimes, and they're all still kicking. So if your powers back on and it's 68, I think you're in the clear... Unless the power goes out again.

The house stays around 70, so I think it would have been lower than the high 60s if the electricity would have stayed off all night.

... at least low 60s, possibly into the 50s, idk. House is well insulated, but it's like 5 degrees outside.

Anyway, electricity has been on all this time and seems like it's working fine. Before it went off, it was flickering off for a split second and then coming back on for a few minutes. It did this for maybe an hour or so and probably like 15 or 20 times.

kc7wdg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd buy some heat packs that could be put inside the insulating shirts/sweaters etc.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what kind of t and scorp?
sometimes my room went into the 40's when i was a kid. I had a g. rosea at the time.

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Go get a catalytic heater and a 3 pack of the small propane cans (camp stove size). I have one and 6 cans of propane just in case of power outages. Make sure you always have airflow where you use these things. They won't heat your whole house, but heat small areas no problem.
Like this one here
http://camping.about.com/od/campinggearreviews/gr/sportcat.htm

Last edited:

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
T is an A. metallica, either sub adult or adult, and the scorpion is a bark scorpion (can't remember scientific name), adult female.

I'm gonna try to get some heat packs.

On a good note, the power stayed on all night and everything's fine as of right now.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's blizzard right now, it's minus 20 celcius and I decided to stay home in case we loose heat. Basically, my only strategy is to wait until my T's get unresponsive, so I can handle them out of their huge enclosures, put them in deli cups, stuff them in a box and then heat my car and drive them to a friend who has electricity. I worry more about my snakes...

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
My T room stays at ~65-70 degrees through the winter, they eat less and don't do a whole lot but in the summer its nice and warm in there.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Hoping all is well. So far I have lost four for certain, a fifth is probably not going to make the night. Status of some pet holes unknown. I hope you are managing to keep snakes and spiders warm. Fingers crossed for you. This cold-weather blast is terrible, and I'm ready to give it back!

Marga
Below freezing and iced in in Texas