Emerald skeleton

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have an opportunity to pick up an emerald skeleton (Ephebopus uatuman) for $50 and was wondering if you all thought that was a good deal. Its about 3 - 3.5 inches right now and has some pretty nice coloration.
At that size, do you think it is probably a female? Do the males develop smaller or larger? Also, is there any advice from anyone who has one? This one is rather feisty.
Thanks!
Ralph

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
not having these i would suggest checking online prices at some of the other online dealers recommended on this site.

beyond that, i wish i could offer more advice, but...alas. :)

good luck!

one thing you might do is find out whether these are normally WC or CB and if that factors into the price. if you can obtain CB they are usually parasite-free.

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Other than some gravid specimens that were WC and dropped eggsacs (thus some offer what I call 'CP' spiderlings -- Captive Produced, not Captive Bred), adults and juvs of this species are WC when available.

They're rather delicate. Like other Ephebopus (such as cyanognathus), they're sensitive to temp and moisture shifts and prefer it a little on the damp side with slightly higher temps (80%/78-84F respectively). Water dish is essential, as dessication with this species is rapid and often not as 'reversible' as some other species.

bill

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Bill,
Thanks for the info. I'm a little concerned by what you mention about dessication. This one has already taken up residence in the water bowl, probably due to low humidity. The store keeps them with water gel instead of actual water, so it is sitting on the gel.
I've told them on numerous occassions that they should use water, but they're not real receptive. At least they're keeping more gel in than they did before.
Anyway, it still has an attitude an struck at me yesterday when I attempted to move it with my key chain. I also reared up and stayed there for a long while.
Do you think it is past to point of no return? If not, I'm thinking of going to purchase it today.
Thanks!
Ralph
P.S. at that size is it more probably a female than a male, or is it too early to tell?

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, unless there is some kind of gender-color-size relationship, I don't see how the current size would indicate one way or the other since at some point in their lives every specimen will be 3-3.5 inches in legspan.

Adrian