Email from Dina Titus re:shipping of T's

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just got this from Dina Titus... can't even remember when I emailed her, but I know it was a really long time ago!! lol this is her email back to me :)
" September 22, 2010

Mrs. IXXXXXXXX

XXXXXX
XXXXXX

Dear Mrs. XXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting me about transportation of live tarantulas through the United States Postal Service (USPS). I appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

As you know, current USPS guidelines prohibit the shipment of what it classifies as poisonous animals. The USPS has classified tarantulas under these guidelines. Critics of this rule argue tarantulas should not fall under this category because they are not dangerous to humans and the prohibition hinders many scientists who use tarantulas to perform medical research. As you may know, scientists at the University of Buffalo have recently found that the protein in tarantula venom could potentially serve as therapy to patients who suffer from muscular dystrophy.

I recognize your concerns regarding the shipment of tarantulas through the USPS. I believe the advancement of scientific research for a range of diseases is critical for the welfare of patients throughout this country. Moreover, I share your concerns regarding how important it is to make certain that whenever new legislation is reviewed that its consequences are carefully considered, especially when a proposal could have significant economic implications. I will be certain to keep your thoughts in mind as my colleagues and I weigh federal oversight of the USPS on the House floor.

Thank you again for taking the time to get involved. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of future service.

Sincerely,

Dina Titus
Member of Congress "

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Critics of this rule argue tarantulas should not fall under this category because they are not dangerous to humans....
At least they acknowledge this. Small steps. Maybe Ken and others like you Orchid will initiate change

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Least yours was written as if the actual congress member wrote it. You could tell by many of the responses the people who emailed their senators was written by a secretary. Good job none the less. Though I really dont think its going to do any good.:eek:

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My letter back from my congressman looked like a letter that they probably send out to people who's concerns don't interest them in the least. There wasn't even a mention of the subject of the letter that was sent to them. It basically said that my concerns were important and that they would look into it for me. I took it as a complete blow off. It should have been expected considering my congressman is a complete waste of taxpayers money. He's Jeff Sessions by the way. If you ever see him on TV just listen to the nonsense he speaks. At one point the guy included rape and drug use among problems caused by internet gambling(poker websites specifically). Really?!?!

Sorry, I went on a bit of a rant there.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My letter back from my congressman looked like a letter that they probably send out to people who's concerns don't interest them in the least. There wasn't even a mention of the subject of the letter that was sent to them.
Thats kinda what I meant. Mine was wrote in the same manor as yours.:rolleyes:

Thats why I dont think it will help change the USPS shipping policies. Might make them more suspicious if anything.:eek:

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thats kinda what I meant. Mine was wrote in the same manor as yours.:rolleyes:

Thats why I dont think it will help change the USPS shipping policies. Might make them more suspicious if anything.:eek:
That's been my thinking too. It is nice to see though that some politicians will actually put in an effort to communicate with their constituents instead of only focusing on people that can do more for them than give them a vote.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, because not sure if its just me, but that actually sounds like the actual congress lady wrote it.(or a very talented secretary) also they had to of done some research, or at least paid attention to the news to find out about venom being used as medicine for muscular dystrophy.

Thats enough to impress me. Well, considering the response i got back...:eek:

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
^ it is kinda sorta illegal to ship tarantula's via USPS. Its technically a "policy" of theirs, but when the USPS boards write a "rule or policy" its technically law.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You laugh, but its serious stuff. and if convicted could be a felony.(least from what I gather)

there have been dealers/member on the boards here which were given a cease shipping warning by the USPS and said if they did it again and they found out there would be trouble. if I am not mistake it was a felony charge.

I dont know about you all, but my local usps think I send out tons of "chocolate" haha

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You laugh, but its serious stuff. and if convicted could be a felony.(least from what I gather)

there have been dealers/member on the boards here which were given a cease shipping warning by the USPS and said if they did it again and they found out there would be trouble. if I am not mistake it was a felony charge.

I dont know about you all, but my local usps think I send out tons of "chocolate" haha
Jeepers, I didn't know it was illegal... I even told the lady at the post office that I was shipping a 6 1/2" tarantula and she just thought it was awesome. :?

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Jeepers, I didn't know it was illegal... I even told the lady at the post office that I was shipping a 6 1/2" tarantula and she just thought it was awesome. :?
From what I gather, it is all locally regulated. My entire post office knows me as Bug Boy and they all fight to help me and my boys when I pick up a package because they always want to see pictures of what I am receiving!

They call me on my cell every time a package shows up! I have even given 3 of the employees at the PO tours of the spider room!

:)

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My local office doesn't care either...perhaps out of ignorance if their own policy.
I guess in the greater picture though it's illegal for now.

Hopefully that will change.