Elevated Water Dish?

Gettincloser

Arachnopeon
Looking at getting a 2" Avicularia Avicularia this weekend. I have seen some close up pictures of elevated water dishes but there is no size comparison. I was thinking of hot gluing a bottle cap to the side of the stick or near some fake leaves but not sure if it is large enough. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Hi
Nothing wrong with trying.I wont glue the dish tho as it needs to be able to be pulled out for cleaning if it gets soiled.I always put mine down and give them some water on the web as a second option once a week.
Regards Konstantin

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looking at getting a 2" Avicularia Avicularia this weekend. I have seen some close up pictures of elevated water dishes but there is no size comparison. I was thinking of hot gluing a bottle cap to the side of the stick or near some fake leaves but not sure if it is large enough. Any thoughts or recommendations?
You may want to hot glue a holder for the bottle cap and not the cap itself. That helps a lot with cleaning. Tarantulas do a lot of funny thing with water dish e.g. throw undigested carcass in it, poop in it, throw dirt in it etc. Cleaning a fixed water dish is a massive pain in the backside.

If you have space in the tank, add one of those reptile feeding ledge. It can be fixed on the wall, usually with suction cup or even magnet, and it holds plastic cup that usually contains food for arboreal reptiles. It works with arboreal T's too.

I have never seen any arboreal T's I had go down to ground level to drink but some on here said arboreal T's do use those ground level water dishes. Pokies, for example, akways seem to know accurately where the water dish is to throw undigested carcass into it; hence, I would incline to believe they do know where to get water should they need it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Easily get a crested gecko feeding ledge off of Pangea or Amazon.

Bottle cap - not descriptive enough to know if size is good or not. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Gettincloser

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys for all of the quality input. As far as bottle cap, I was thinking a simple water bottle cap but it was brought up to me that it could evaporate quickly and make a Gatoraid bottle cap would be better. Just not sure if I want a bright orange cap in there... (picky, I know).

That being said, a suction cup/magnetic hold does sound like a superior idea. This is my first arboreal and I am learning things slowly (but at least it is in advance).

As a side note, I did see some "sheet moss" in a bag at Home depot the other day in the garden department. It is used as ground cover for indoor potted plants. Would that be a good idea for gluing to the back for the enclosure (look neat, give a secure climbing footing and hold moisture) or would that be a bad idea? Not sure that it would mold or not but wanted to know if you have or would even consider trying?

Attachments

Gettincloser

Arachnopeon
Easily get a crested gecko feeding ledge off of Pangea or Amazon.

Bottle cap - not descriptive enough to know if size is good or not. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Sorry about that. But the picture of the little guy beating his head against the wall was too funny not to comment on. I am afraid that I sometimes think people can read my mind... sure glad they can't though.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sorry about that. But the picture of the little guy beating his head against the wall was too funny not to comment on. I am afraid that I sometimes think people can read my mind... sure glad they can't though.
No need to be sorry. I put those there to emphasize my chronic disappointment of people when they post something that is practically useless. A bottle cap - there are many size bottles as you certainly know. When I see someone type a general description I feel the poster doesn't care or want a specific answer because they haven't provided specific info. Generally speaking specific information is more useful than not, details certainly cut down on the amount of posting required to give a person help.

Would that be a good idea for gluing to the back for the enclosure (look neat, give a secure climbing footing and hold moisture) or would that be a bad idea? Not sure that it would mold or not but wanted to know if you have or would even consider trying?
Bad idea- cork would be better. It offers the most molt resistant surface, light, cheap for me at least, and offers FIRM footing- something Ts truly prefer of loose.

You can buy flat cork that glues onto glass aquaria.

Last edited:

Gettincloser

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys! I will look for some flat cork bark instead. I had not thought about footing... used to a terrestrial. I will also use a "holder" for the water so I can clean the water dish!

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
You can get suction cup rings to hold water/feeding cups for arboreal reptiles. Amazon sells them.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks guys! I will look for some flat cork bark instead. I had not thought about footing... used to a terrestrial. I will also use a "holder" for the water so I can clean the water dish!

I THINK it's ZooMed which makes 2 flat cork pieces as products.

If you setup the home BEFORE getting the T and post pics BACK here, we'll give you an objective critique.

Gettincloser

Arachnopeon
I THINK it's ZooMed which makes 2 flat cork pieces as products.

If you setup the home BEFORE getting the T and post pics BACK here, we'll give you an objective critique.
Here you go! I am using the smaller display case from hobby lobby at about 12" tall x 5.5" wide and 6.5" deep when standing up right. Used this twisted vine to mKe a flat spot with toothpicks that have been broken off on the ends and hot glued in place with spargham moss. Plastic plants and a bark backwall. The "purple water dish" is the screw on cap to a gallon milk jug with spargham moss glued to the side. It is pretty stable in there. I filled with water and tapped on the vine and noting moved! Decided to go with a larger cap for 2 reasons. 1) there was room for it and it fit well. 2) I had it and did not have Nything better looking for now...

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here you go! I am using the smaller display case from hobby lobby at about 12" tall x 5.5" wide and 6.5" deep when standing up right. Used this twisted vine to mKe a flat spot with toothpicks that have been broken off on the ends and hot glued in place with spargham moss. Plastic plants and a bark backwall. The "purple water dish" is the screw on cap to a gallon milk jug with spargham moss glued to the side. It is pretty stable in there. I filled with water and tapped on the vine and noting moved! Decided to go with a larger cap for 2 reasons. 1) there was room for it and it fit well. 2) I had it and did not have Nything better looking for now...
Good start! I use deeper bowls so I don’t have to fill frequently

Also more cage furniture up around the top for Avics - remember they live in forests and prefer/require more dense foliage areas to feel secure

Gettincloser

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the heads up. I will add more fake plants for it and look for another (non purple and larger dish!)

Gettincloser

Arachnopeon
Alright, I apparently used the last hotglue stick and need more before I can make the new water dish look nice. I will swap it out when it is time to refill the water. I got the Avicularia Avicularia and with a tape measure (diagonally) it measures about 3", not 2" as i had initially thought... sorry for the bad glare on the pictures. Other than the vine/water holder, there are 3 plastic plants for it to web to and the vine curls at the top so it hits the side wall and the back giving it an opening/gap.

1) there are 12 rows of 12 (144 holes) on each side for ventilation but they are smaller (5/64"). Will this cause enough evaporation to justify having 2 water dishes (screw on milk cap) up top like it is now and a 2" square water dish down low or just the 1 water dish?
*as a side note, the substrate is an 80/20 mix of peat moss/sphagnum moss mix at about 3" of depth. I did wet down the substrate before adding it to the enclose so it is damp but if you squeezed it in you hand, I imagine only a few drops would come out... it is not soaking wet. I figure that this will also add moisture to the air in the terrarium as well.

2) exciting news, not long after putting her (just what I am calling it, not verified female) in there, I saw her pointing her head in the downwards direction. I have read (Google smart) that this means they are hungry and looking for food. Figured I would offer a mealworm and see what happens. Not fast by any standard but when it wiggled, she leaned over and grabbed it! I could not believe she was willing to eat so soon after getting transported and moved to a new enclosure!

Thanks for all of the helpful advice and for putting up with my last minute questions. I can see how this is going to be a very addictive hobby!

Attachments

Gettincloser

Arachnopeon
I recently secured a water dish to the top of my C. Versicolor's cork bark. She loves it!
That is a great picture! I am waiting to see the same. My "water dish"/milk cap is hidden in the sphagnum moss that i glued to the outside of it.