Elevated feeding dish for A. Avic.

Wolfden

Arachnopeon
So I have noticed that my A. avic has been having trouble finding the roaches I toss into her enclosure. The roaches make it to the bottom and hide and she never finds them because she is never at the bottom of her enclosure. So last week and this week I used a plastic round ziploc container and put the roach in it and put it in her enclosure. Both times she has easily found the roach and eaten it.

IMG_1463.JPG IMG_1464.JPG

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So I have noticed that my A. avic has been having trouble finding the roaches I toss into her enclosure. The roaches make it to the bottom and hide and she never finds them because she is never at the bottom of her enclosure. So last week and this week I used a plastic round ziploc container and put the roach in it and put it in her enclosure. Both times she has easily found the roach and eaten it.

View attachment 217576 View attachment 217577
There's nothing wrong with a feeding station IMO, I've never tried it. I wouldn't rely on the station always being clean/clear or the Avic using it. Avic can be a bit "lazy" sorta, and not all Ts take to roaches. Roaches are far better at remaining motionless than crickets IME.

Wouldn't be surprised if it gets webbed over however.

But Avics will come down see below

View media item 34728

Wolfden

Arachnopeon
There's nothing wrong with a feeding station IMO, I've never tried it. I wouldn't rely on the station always being clean/clear or the Avic using it. Avic can be a bit "lazy" sorta, and not all Ts take to roaches. Roaches are far better at remaining motionless than crickets IME.

Wouldn't be surprised if it gets webbed over however.

But Avics will come down see below

View media item 34728
Thanks viper. I like your set up. Mine has more wood pieces which make it easier for the roaches to hide. I usually take the bowl out once she has eaten and moved out of it so it's not in their all the time.

Both of mine have surprisingly taken to roaches very well and gobble them right up.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Agree with @viper69 . Avics can seem to be very lazy when it comes to finding food. My guess is it has to do with the fact that they are pretty much always up in the trees in their natural environments so generally just wait for food to come to them...flying insects, etc as opposed to other arboreals that don't necessarily spend their whole lives up high in a tree (Psalmos, Pokies, etc) and will go down to the ground to find food. I usually use crickets and will drop it into my A. versicolor's web.

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
Great idea! I used a similar one when I kept chameleons, poked a hole through the side of a small 1oz deli container and threaded a twist tie thorough it to secure it to a branch or vine.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
2/3's of my collection is arboreal. None of them have elevated water bowls, none have feeding stations at all. If you need to use either, you've gotten carried away and put your spider in too tall a cage. Use a shorter cage. All of my Avics have no problem finding their food in a cage of reasonable height (they're all good eaters), but if it's too tall, they tend to stay up high, away from the prey. What's the point of a cage like that? Give them something they can hunt in naturally.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
My A. avicularia boy has no problem dropping down and grabbing his cricket. He also sucks down water from his dish.
After he's done eating he very politely drops the bolus into his water dish:confused:! Evil little cute beastie.