Eggsack question.... need help now :)

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How do you see if the eggs are fertail or not? Are the infertiles black or something?

If i pull the eggs from the mom, and incubate them, do i take the eggs out of the sack? What if the sack is open, should i just leave them in the sack or take them out??

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Anyone?

Is my writing so bad that you dont understand what i'm asking about??

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Be patient... not everyone's on this board all day, and sometimes it takes them longer than 33 minutes to see posts and respond. :)

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hehe.......

Ok, i'll just have to wait then..... :)

Btw u dont have to answere the q about taking them out of the sack or not, alredy done that now :rolleyes:

The eggs are in the incubator now, all are yellow/white..... is that good?? :?

At what temp should i keep them? :confused: Right now they are nearly 80 F.....

( It is a suprise eggsack from my rosea, no leggs yet thoug.... I guess she is wc since she made an eggsack without me breeding her....?)

Last edited:

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
TigerWoman,
First, you should never really see the actual eggs after the female has processed it into an eggsac, unless you opened the eggsac prematurely. If you did, all is not lost just yet. I've opened some up prematurely myself. There's no way to predict when to open the eggsac to view it's contents. There's a couple of factors that may shorten or lengthen the time between eggs to eclosion (hatching), so times will vary there. I always wait at least 30 days (that's what I tell myself, at least) before I pull an eggsac from a female and carefully cut into it to inspect the contents. By the 30 day period, if temps. were kinda warm (85ish F), they eggs should have "hatched". At this time you should pick out any infertiles or failures to develop. Infertiles look drastically different than fertile eggs. Usually by this point, the infertile eggs may resemble little lightly colored, but still obvioulsly darker(than fertiles), peppercorns. There will be different degrees of decay for these unfertile eggs, but most of the time, they just dry out and have that wrinkled look to 'em. Also, if you have some eggs that look good, but have not "hatched", just wait, they still might hatch. Some take their time. Fertiles will have a healthy look to them. They tend to be an off white/yellowish, with a small chalky white area on them. "Hatched" eggs are called nymphs by some, and will resemble "eggs with legs", which look just like eggs with little legs.
Ok, say you've decided to take the eggsac into your responsibility and incubate. But first, count 30 days from the time you first see the eggsac. At the 30 day mark, take the eggsac. Set up a rearing container (need info on that?). Open the eggsac and inspect the eggs with legs for any mushies or any nasty. If you see anything mushy or smelly, also look for mites. Discard any yuckies. Over time, which is sooner than you think, the "eggs with legs" will darken, which signifies an oncoming molt.
At what point are you at now? Please let us know, so that we could help you better. Does the female still have the eggsac? If you pulled it, when? Leave out no details.

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
LaRiz, u'r the man! :p

The T made a burrow about 2 and a half months ago, after eating alot :p
About tree weeks ago, i toke a look in there to see if she was alive. It was then i found the eggsack, and a skinny T.... hehe....

I made the incubator yesterday after some pictures i found on thees pages, :)D Thank you) i think it is pretty good..... :rolleyes:

Today, i pulled the eggsack from her! I carefully open it just a bit to look inside :p All the eggs are yellow with little white spots on them. They are not wrinkeld or anything, look healty to me!

It was no mites or anything musy or smelly in there....

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Tiger,
I like that, "Tiger"
Sounds like the eggs are fine. I just hatched out about 150 rosea slings. When I pulled them from mom, they were unhatched eggs also. Don't get them wet, and roll them around every day. Just swirl the deli cup carefully. Keep them about 75 - 80 degs.

As LaRiz said " keep the mushies and nastys out of the hammack, or the nymphs will stick to them and you'll have a hell of a time freeing them.

Good luck,

Ernie

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Jippiii!!! I'm a mom!!

I'm a proud mother!!! ehehe......

Went in to take a look at the eggs before i went to bed, and now i have 5 eggs with leggs :D and there will be more!

I think maby the raised humidity helpt them to deside that this was the day to come out :rolleyes: Or maby i just pulled them at the right time..... What do you think??

Will i hurt them if i swirl the deli cup now? It's still many unhatched eggs.....

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It didn't hurt any for mine, that I could see. Their tougher than you might think. But its best if you make the call. Swirling can help you find the bad eggs and sticky's. IMO

Ernie :)

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: Jippiii!!! I'm a mom!!

Originally posted by TigerWoman
I'm a proud mother!!! ehehe......
Went in to take a look at the eggs before i went to bed, and now i have 5 eggs with leggs :D and there will be more!
I think maby the raised humidity helpt them to deside that this was the day to come out :rolleyes: Or maby i just pulled them at the right time..... What do you think??
Will i hurt them if i swirl the deli cup now? It's still many unhatched eggs.....
Sounds like it's workin' out for you. At this point I would leave them alone and let them hatch.
The last eggsac I reared, which was my 2nd Cyriopagopus thorelli eggsac, was pulled too soon.
When I opened it, I found all eggs. I was pretty bummed. Then a couple days later, they hatched. All but one. But check this out...the one that didn't hatch was forced to. I took an exacto knife and very carefully slit the white part of the egg. This white part is actually the opaque part of the "shell" where the nymph is not in contact with. So, I was only cutting the shell. Once I did this it was no time at all that the eggs w/legs emerge almost normally. That's a true story! :)
I don't really know what you mean by "swirl the deli-cup"? You do have a very moistened substrate in the bottom of the deli, correct? Straight water works too.
From time to time when the eggs w/ legs are developing I will open the top and lightly spray the upper most portion of the hammock. No soaking, but enough to help w/humidity. Try not to get any water on the babies.
john

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Re: Re: Jippiii!!! I'm a mom!!

Originally posted by LaRiz
Sounds like it's workin' out for you. At this point I would leave them alone and let them hatch.
The last eggsac I reared, which was my 2nd Cyriopagopus thorelli eggsac, was pulled too soon.
When I opened it, I found all eggs. I was pretty bummed. Then a couple days later, they hatched. All but one. But check this out...the one that didn't hatch was forced to. I took an exacto knife and very carefully slit the white part of the egg. This white part is actually the opaque part of the "shell" where the nymph is not in contact with. So, I was only cutting the shell. Once I did this it was no time at all that the eggs w/legs emerge almost normally. That's a true story! :)

- WOW!!

I don't really know what you mean by "swirl the deli-cup"?

- By that i ment moving the eggs a little, kinda gently rolling them..

You do have a very moistened substrate in the bottom of the deli, correct? Straight water works too.

- I have straigt vermeculite in the bottom...

From time to time when the eggs w/ legs are developing I will open the top and lightly spray the upper most portion of the hammock. No soaking, but enough to help w/humidity. Try not to get any water on the babies.
john

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Re: Re: Jippiii!!! I'm a mom!!

Originally posted by LaRiz

john
John, that's really amazing. I've never heard of anyone doing an egg caesarian! You get my vote as the man, too :)

Joy

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Since we're on the subject of egg rearing, could anyone post a pic of the incubator setup again. I can't find a thread it was posted on.
Thanks everyone,
Mike

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Jippiii!!! I'm a mom!!

Originally posted by Joy
John, that's really amazing. I've never heard of anyone doing an egg caesarian! You get my vote as the man, too :)
Joy
Yeah, it's funny. I don't really expect anybody to believe that, but I don't care. I really did it.
I figured Cryiopagopus thorelli=very desireable spider. Maybe I could do something. The egg looked good, it just wasn't opening up. So I helped the little fella along.
If you look closely at an egg, you can almost see where and how the nymph is crammed in there. Since all the others had already eclosed, I thought what the hell, there's nothing to lose (but that one). So I just took the tip of my exacto knife and made a really small slit on the white spot. Once the slit was made, the little fella did the rest. There were no infertile eggs and no "eggs w/legs" failed to develop in that eggsac. 100% hatch.
So there you go. Now, when you experience an egg that just doesn't want to hatch, but all it's siblings already did, there's another option available to consider. :D
Exacto knife. Another tool for the Arachnoculturist's toolbox.

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lasiodora
Since we're on the subject of egg rearing, could anyone post a pic of the incubator setup again. I can't find a thread it was posted on.
Here's a basic drawing of one. Things to note: the actual hammock/chamber is totally enclosed. No mites can enter. The paper towel will allow sufficient air exchange.
The paper towel hammock can be made by placing a sheet of paper over the opening of, say, a 1 lb.
deli cup, and then pressing a 1/2 lb. deli into the pounder. Tape the ends of the paper towel down and there ya go.

Attachments

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
LaRiz,
Thanks for the diagram. Hopefully I can make use of this setup soon (waiting on an eggsac).
Mike