eggsac emergency

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
my H. maculata has abandoned her eggsac after 27 days. i found it today, hanging along the wall of the enclosure. she was next to it, but put up no fight when i removed it. i cut it open, revealing that it is very much still full of little yellow eggs. i cut a hole in the lid of a deli container, used pantyhose as a hamock and am now hoping to incubate them myself . they are in the t room where it stay 75-85 degrees 24-7. you think she ditched them because they are no good, or do i still have a chance?

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I'd say go for it...you have nothing to lose. If they are yellowish, round, and not soggy or moldy, they may be good. I don't know what the incubation period is for that species...but it may be a bit early to see if and how they are developing. That is right around the time that some people pull an eggsac anyway...so good luck to you!

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Females usually "abandon" their eggsacs for short periods, then return to them later, so I doubt she left it due to it being infertile or unhealthy. As long as the eggs look good, it's worth a try. We usually pull eggsacs around Day 30 anyway, so you're pretty much on schedule :)
Let us know how they do!

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hmmm youve got it out at last :D never give up on the egg

my lividum hasnt left her egg once, so it still remains with her... its at day 43 now, anyone know when i should expect them to hatch?

cheers

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i had actually thought she ate it at first. the spot where it was stuck to the wall was empty, and there was just a ball hanging by a few threads. she was standing right next to it, and when i pulled it out thinking i had empty web, she didnt even budge. i cut it open gently, showing that the eggs were indeed intact and viable. problem is ive read a whole lot of failure stories regarding artificial incubation, and not so many success stories. this being the first eggsac ive ever had, i dont want to screw it up:rolleyes: . anyway thanks for the wellwishes, ill keep you updated.