Eggs!!!

Josh1129

Arachnopeon
Simply put my G-rosea just laid a sack last night ...What do I do lol. All help is greatly appreciated.

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Simply put my G-rosea just laid a sack last night ...What do I do lol. All help is greatly appreciated.
I allow my Ts to truck their sack around until they hatch. Most people pull the sack after awhile. I just figure momma knows best when it comes to her babies! Plus I LOVE watching some of the species make a maternity web so the slings can run around it like a highway system!

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Read the breeding report section on the forums. Look for your species and read the steps on building an incubator.. at what time to pull the sack from the mother.

UNLESS

You sling proof your enclosure and allow the eggs to stay with the mother until after they hatch. I generally remove them after the 3rd instar. At this point they're eating.. and eating eachother to thin the herd. You can then add them to seperate vials feed and mist in singles..

OR

Keep them together in a larger container and feed the heck out of them so that they're so full they don't want to eat eachother.

Few options for ya to consider. Each person has their own way of dealing with a sack and all the slings. The most widely used is pulling the sack and splitting them so they don't eat eachother.

jt39565

Arachnoknight
Robc has a really good youtube video about making an incubator, that should help you. The omlette crack was my attempt @ humor.

Josh1129

Arachnopeon
I was just making sure the omlett thing wasn't something that might happen to the eggs lol

jt39565

Arachnoknight
From my personal research it seems the best success has been to let the sac stay with mom until a few days before they hatch, then incubate until 2d instar then separate & sale. My opinion I'm not a breeder( but hope to someday) just what my research has shown, yours may be different.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Honestly I don't know if she mated or not i just got her not even a month ago. but that leads to my next question, how can you tell if a sac is fertile?
Spiderlings hatch out.:)

I'd leave it with her if you're unsure about incubating them artificially. Just keep her warm make sure she has access to water, and keep her quiet. Females that drop eggsacs over here are left alone for a few weeks. I have a particular shelf in the spider room on which they are set so that they aren't moved about. For some I even cover the cage with a towel to keep it dark even when I'm there doing animals care. As mentioned earlier there are also methods for artificially incubating the eggs. For these methods you typically pull the eggsac from the mother after a few weeks. There are a number of videos explaining the methods behind this if you want to try it out.

puck4u

Arachnopeon
my experience

Josh,

I just went through this about a month ago. I purchased my G. rosea from my LPS about 4 months prior to her laying a sac. She rolled it around and sat on it. I asked the same question on AB and got several responses. I decided to let mama do her thing. About a week ago she ate the entire sac. From my research I had done, if they know the sac isnt fertile, or "dud" sac as they are called, they will consume it. She did and is back to her normal unpredictable self..... I would say just wait and see what happens.:clap: