eggs with legs question

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just watched one burst to. I think its dead now. It was on its second egg. I was watching that one only because It was the first one I had seen eating an egg. I tried to keep him away from other eggs but over night someone rolled to close and he munched him, but his abdomen burst as a result of trying to eat a second egg. Is instinct to kill off competition that strong?

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Apparently so! I find that amusing, in a sadistic kinda way.

It's almost certainly an instinctive response. Most developing organisms feed as much as possible... 'higher' organisms have more complicated ways of turning the feed response off.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
'higher' organisms have more complicated ways of turning the feed response off.

You would think my "butts going to explode" would be simple enough.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well they seem to have slown down a bit on the eating of eachother...... and there are still plenty to go around. I think maybe between 60-80 were eaten by their brothers and sisters. And around 90% are all eggs with legs now.

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I noticed a few first instar Psalmopoeus irminia eating eggs with legs. The photo is from a sack produced last year. See the below photo.

First Instar eating egg with legs in the very middle of the photo.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
1st instar I can see, but these were eggs with legs eating other eggs with legs. It was awesome to watch. Sad but interesting.