Eggs outside the sac

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Avicularia diversipes
I thought she was working on a sac this morning, as she had formed the "bowl". As you can see, there are eggs outside of the sac. I can't tell if it isn't closed properly or if she just missed a few when she wrapped it. I guess time will tell. Anyoe else had this happen, and if so, what was the outcome?
Diane

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You can see one down at the bottom of her tube as well.

Joey Mugleston had something similar happen with C. brachycephalus...I think it's in the breeding reports, I'll see if I can dig it up.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have had this happen with avicularia as well.Maybe 20 eggs did not make it into the sack,and after a month in an incubator,slowly started to turn dark and shrivel.Hopefully yours just "missed a few" and the sack is intact.Congrats on the sack,these things have me pulling my hair out as of late....

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Is it her first ever egg sac? I have read about this happening from time to time with a females first ever sac. Sometimes they dont seem to wrap them properly, the eggs on the outside may well be as good as gone. Although as long as she has finished wrapping the rest of the sac properly after those lose ones were dispersed from the laying bowl then they should hopefully be fine. As you say though, time will tell...

Good luck anyway, they're truly a wonderful species.

:)

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Found it :

The male is on loan from Joe (xHexdx). The male did his job well. He even has a few more dates lined up over here. The female kind of buggered up a bit.

She looks like a diligent mother right?

Missed:

So pulled this one immediately.

It has been a few days and though many of the eggs sitting outside the eggsac have spoiled, those inside still look good. ~1/3 the eggs looked to be outside the webbing. Hopefully the other two girls have a bit better luck.

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for pulling that up, Joe. :worship:
It is her first sac. I didn't figure any of those outside the sac would make it, I'm just hoping those inside will stay there and she just dumped a few during the wrap up.
Diane

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for pulling that up, Joe. :worship:
It is her first sac. I didn't figure any of those outside the sac would make it, I'm just hoping those inside will stay there and she just dumped a few during the wrap up.
Diane
The C. brachycephalus eggs pictured above did not make it. The same female missed her eggsac the 2nd time as well when she double clutched. In my case I have reason to suspect the soil level is to blame. In another female's cage I gave her deeper substrate and her recent eggsac doesn't look to have any issues so far.

If she dropped a few while wrapping them up I wouldn't be too worried. Those outside the eggsac will spoil, but if those inside the eggsac are closed off I don't think they'll have any issue. If she didn't wrap the eggsac properly then there is the chance of the eggs desiccating during incubation as in the case of my female pictured above.

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Update: She destroyed it last night. if at first you don't succeed and all that...
Di

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Update: She destroyed it last night. if at first you don't succeed and all that...
Di
darn - - I was hoping there would be a good outcome on this . . . well, hopefully she'll figure out what she did wrong this time and make up for it later.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sorry to hear that, Di.

You'll get her next time. :)

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That sucks Diane :[
You will get it next time!
@ Jmugleston:
Don't Ceratogyrus build hammock style eggsacks?I think they need something to attach there eggsacks to.Perhaps thats why they did not go so well?
-Chris

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That sucks Diane :[
You will get it next time!
@ Jmugleston:
Don't Ceratogyrus build hammock style eggsacks?I think they need something to attach there eggsacks to.Perhaps thats why they did not go so well?
-Chris
They do. Usually it is attached to the sides/top of their burrow, but this one didn't have the enclosed space so the hammock spread a bit further than normal (at least normal from what I've seen here). I think deeper substrate would have provided the secluded space necessary. The other female has a nice burrow and had no problem attaching the eggsac to the sides of her burrow.