Eggs and Pork For Your Scorps

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello I read this in an article (dated Wednesday, 23 October, 2002) about an Asian woman setting the world record for number of days in a tank with scorpions. What was interesting and sparked my interest is that it said
Ms Kanchana fed the scorpions a mixture of raw egg and ground pork every day in her cell in the beach resort of Pattaya.
Has anyone heard of or has any ever done any sort of supplemental feeding for their scorpions. I give mine crickets, roaches and occasional meal worms (and I have heard and seen people giving mice etc) but has any one concocted a recipe for a meal supplement/replacement for their scorpions? Would eggs and pork, which could be refrigerated, be a viable replacement for cricket protein?

Just curious, Thaedion

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There's a guy on venomlist that used sausage to feed his emps.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
All you need to answer this question is a really good analysis of the dietary requirements of scorpions. Assemble all the literature on this subject and you'll be well on your way to five, maybe ten minutes of reading.

This is an extremely interesting topic for someone to investigate -- but it is a black hole of sorts. There is some data available on the prey types of scorpions, but what that translates into with regards to their actual dietary needs is anybody's guess.

Cheers,
Dave

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
All you need to answer this question is a really good analysis of the dietary requirements of scorpions...

Cheers,
Dave
Thanks for the synonymic clue that helped me along with my investigation. I have 2, maybe 3 gravid scorpions P imp and H. spp and am thinking about trying a dietary test with the offspring, with what I've just picked up on.

An interesting side note in my online reading just now...
Insects are unable to biosynthesize the steroid nucleus and generally require an exogenous source of sterols. Two salient areas of insect steroid metabolism are the dealkylation and conversion of dietary C28 and C29 plant sterols to cholesterol and other C27 sterols, and the biosynthesis and metabolism of the steroidal insect molting hormones. (http://www.springerlink.com/content/6q00684333735144/)

Although sterol of some sort is required by all insects, plant feeding insects are able to utilize a broad range of plant sterols by converting them into cholesterol. Carnivorous insects are not able to make use of a range of plant sterols. We may consider an overview of metabolism of plant sterols into cholesterol, and conversion of cholesterol into the molting hormone.(http://entomology.unl.edu/ent801/nutr.html)
The articles talk about insects in general and fruit flies as a specific, but the concept of cholesterol aiding in the moulting process is interesting, leads me to believe that some molting problems may be due to diet also...

Regards Thaedion

Last edited:

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What is the record?
Why? Are you thinking about trying to break it? LOL

Any way here is the article that talks about the world record holder. LINK
spending 36 days in a glass cage with 6,069 of the poisonous arachnids.
Here is the article about the scorpion diet I read. LINK If the link was missed in my first post.

There are two different women going back and forth for the title it seems.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
so does it mean that cholesterol has something to do on moulting?
or cholesterol is that susbstance that i see on the skin of my new molts that makes them shiny.

i havnt touched a postmolt, so maybe cholesterol under the exoskeleton is the "lubricant" for the scorps to move out of their old skin.

just my thoughts.
:?