Eggs and egg sac questions . . .

Drizzt80

Arachnopeon
A couple quick questions concerning my (recently discovered) female H. lividum.

1. Can T's lay eggs/egg sacs without them being fertile similar to snakes?
2. Can fertile/infertile eggs be identified visually similar to snakes?
3. Can T's hold sperm cells to fertilize for an indetermined time similar to snakes?

Here's why . . . my H. lividum was viewed at the entrance to her burrow with a white ball the other day in my classroom. I'm a novice at T breeding (fairly experienced at snake breeding), but have fairly decent knowledge on their care etc. Anyway, I knew/assumed it was an egg sac so I dug her out of the burrow today and confirmed it was indeed an egg sac by cutting it open. (Yes, she was none to happy.)

Now, I did not attempt to breed this girl. She was purchased from a wholesaler, and not privately, so she could be wild caught. I have had her since August of 2005 . . . hence the question of how long they can retain sperm.

Any information would be wonderful.
D80

PS. Did a search for "egg sac" and "infertile eggs" and I'm sure you can guess the number of hits that came up. :wall:

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
1. Can T's lay eggs/egg sacs without them being fertile similar to snakes?
2. Can fertile/infertile eggs be identified visually similar to snakes?
3. Can T's hold sperm cells to fertilize for an indetermined time similar to snakes?
1. Yes, although its uncommon.
2. Not that I know of, you have to wait and see. If she molted, the sac will be infertile.
3. Yes, the female can hold the sperm in her spermathecae until she molts. When she molts, she will shed the spermathecae.

MyNameIsYours

Arachnopeon
1. Tarantulas can lay infertile eggs. This usually happens if the male wasnt healthy or the female isnt healthy.
2. Infertile tarantula eggs turn black and go bad. Live eggs stay creamish and moist.
3. Tarantulas hold the sperm until they molt. If its WC then there is a good chance it bred with a male.

I would have left the eggsac with her for a month then take it out. But you can still put them in the paper towel hammock set-up and see what happens.

Last edited:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Not ALL species have spermathecae to shed.
I know I didn't post the statement in which the above quote references, but if you want to nit pick, then the statement should read something to the effect of "Sperm can be stored in the female's spermathecae, or in the case of a species which lacks this, the uterus externus until the next molt cycle."

- Lonnie

Drizzt80

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies . . . Like I said, I have had her since August of '05. I know she has shed at least once prior to creating this egg sac. I know I first noticed the egg sac with her about 10 days ago, no clue when she made it as she's in her burrow 29 days out of 30. When I removed it last night and snipped it open the eggs are all a clear brownish-cream color similar to fish roe. If they're infertile, how long will it take for the eggs to go bad? I'm assuming 30 days for an indication (by some miracle) they are fertile?

I will probably keep them set up just to see what happens, but quite honestly am not looking forward to (possibly) hatching out what appears to be approximately 75-100 eggs.

Thanks again for the responses!
D80

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
if she molted in between the assumed mating and making the egg sac, it is very very improbable that the eggs are fertile. normally, when they molt they also shed the sexual organs and lose the sperm.

however, i've heard some people claim that their t built a fertile sac after a molt. i've never seen it with my own eyes though, and cannot really tell you if it is at all possible. normally, once they molt you assume the mating was not successful.

i'd try to incubate the eggs nonetheless, they are little miracles ;). if they don't go dark and hard within a few weeks and molt into eggs with legs, they are fertile. good luck!