Egg Shells

MOBugGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Im a chef and at my work we go through roughly 100+ eggs a day an was wondering if there any good for my dubias? I grind all there hard food through a coffee grinder. An I feed the dubias to my leopard gockos colonie. Just wondering if If I should save the egg shells or not an grind them up with the rest of there food....(there also organic free range eggs.) Any imput would be great thanks Matt.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
NO. Roaches will not readily consume eggshells.

You really don't even need to grind up foor for them- that's what they are made to do naturally.

Louise E. Rothstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My roaches don't appreciate crushed eggshells-but my redworms do.
So do other peoples' redworm cultures-you will notice as much if you
read a book known as "Worms Eat My Garbage."

Sowbugs don't really eat eggshells,but they do eat the "skin" inside.

Birds don't really like the inner "eggskin," but they may consume (preferably boiled and crushed) eggshells as a calcium source.

So eggshells CAN be used as a supplemental source of food:
-but not for roaches.
They just don't like them.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you have tons of egg shells, stick them in the oven for a bit to dry them up, then use a coffee grinder to make a powder. You can use it as a calcium supplement for reptiles, amphibians, etc.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep, you can use it for dusting too.

I'm pretty sure that most non-enriched calcium supplements are just ground up egg shells. I wet down some and noticed there were still some pretty sizable pieces of shell in it...

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use it ground up as top fertilizer for the garden and as a powder supplement when we used to breed birds.