Egg Sack Question

KelliH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I recently (on 2-21) found my WC A. avicularia holding an egg sack. I have done lots of research on the net and have read the few books I have, but I am still a bit unsure about what would be best. Should I:

1.) Leave the egg sack in with the female for the duration of incubation until the babies come out?

2.) Pull the egg sack after 1 month and incubate it artificially (I have seen diagrams of incubation chmbers and I am pretty comfortable about making those), turning it a couple times a day? day

3.) Pull the egg sack after 1 month, cut it open and put the eggs in an artificial egg sack (panty hose, etc.) then incubate for the duration, turning twice a day?

4.) Pull the egg sack now and incubate artificially for the duration?

5.) What the heck should I do?

It's kind of funny that I got an egg sack from this female anyway. She is WC and I ordered her, along with 4 others, from an importer. She was supposed to be one of the two "immature males" in the group.

This is my first egg sack and I am really wanting to do the best thing for the (hopefully) future babies. Any and all suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've heard that A. avicularia are pretty good mothers, so I would think you should be safe leaving the eggsac with her.
Just make sure the humidity is up as eggsacs can dessicate pretty quickly.
I'm not sure of the incubation period, but I'm sure someone on this list can help.

KelliH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the reply. I most likely will leave the sac in with her. Does anyone know the approximate incubation period for A. avic eggs? Thanks in advance for any help.

NorthwestInverts

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Most A. avicularia are ok to leave eggsac with the mom, at least has been in my experience over the years. Never had one destroyed, ate or other by mom. I did pull one sac from a mom after 3 weeks to cycle one of my mechanical incubators, which worked out fine. As far as incubation times, really depends on the temp as well as humidity kept at. Here are the results of a couple of my A. avicularia clutches. I have more examples if you want them. Most of mine have been around 60 days give or take, as long as the temp is warmer.

A. AVICULARIA
------------------------------
Specimen # : 8
Bred : 5/8/99 and 5/31/99
Eggsac Laid : 7/23/99
Emerged from sac : 9/25/99 [2nd instar]
Incubation period : 62 days
# of Spiderlings in eggsac : 142
Average Temp : 78 deg. F
Average Humidity : 74-80%

Specimen # : 5
Bred : 5/3/99, 5/13/99 and 5/31/99
Eggsac Laid : 7/18/99
Emerged from sac : 10/13/99 [2nd instar]
Incubation period : 85 days
# of Spiderlings in eggsac : 206
Average Temp : 70 deg. F
Average Humidity : 70-75%

Rotgut Whiskey

The Gasman
Well, I have tried letting the female broob her own eggsac several times and ended up having the female it twice. Then I went to manully flipping the eggsac myself, that became a hassle. So now I have purchased Schultz' book called,"mechanical mothers". I am planning to start the contruction of my own incubator very soon.

NorthwestInverts

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah,

I use the mechanical mom. actually I have 3 few of them. I originally made 5, and sold 2. It's not much more trouble to make a few of them at the same time. They have worked well for me. some people think it's overkill, I totally disagree, but to each his own. the conditions inside the incubator can be presisely controlled is what I like. I have hatched many eggsacs with the mech mom, recently Brachypelma emilia. In my opinion, even though you use the mech. mom, I believe it it critical that the female keep the eggsac for a bare minimum of 2 weeks, 4 if possible, I usually get impatient and pull it after 3 weeks and pop it in the incubator, which has been cycling for a month and the conditions are perfect. Here is a pic of one of my mech. moms.

Last edited:

KelliH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank You

Thanks for all the replies. I have decided to let the female keep the eggsack for the duration of the incubation. I am also going to be looking into the Mechanical Moms as well, for later (hopefully) successful breedings. So keep your fingers crossed for me, I hope to produce my first baby tarantulas in the next couple of months!