Egg Sack Drop???

dayredfern

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey every1, if you remember me saying i was going to breed my Roseas, well they have been busy at it for sum time now, they first bred successfully on 16/01/2007 then on
17/01/2007
19/01/2007
30/01/2007
male made a sperm web on 02/02/2007
then they mated agen on 02/02/2007
male made another sperm web on 10/02/2007
then they mated on 01/03/2007
so they have been busy! the female is so nice to the male, he doesnt run away or anythin when they have finished but calmly walks out of her tank. i think they in love awwww lol

so anyway i was wondering when will she drop her egg sack and what do u think i shud i do wiv the sack? leave it or take it?? i asking this to see what people have dne in the past and have experiance with breeding grammostola rosea

thanks dayredfern

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have heard it can take up to 3 years before the female actually lays a sack. From what I've been told, you should take the sack because roseas have a tendancey to eat them. I was told you should take them away at a month. My sack was infertile, so sorry I can't be of more help.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am not sure where you got up to three years to lay a sac.................Every T that I know of is mostly on a yearly cycle...... sometimes there are freak cases where they fast for long periods or skip molts for a few years..... but on average they molt once a year or so, so your looking at egg sac production at under a year. Depending on when she molted last maybe alot less then that. With G rosea I would say 3-6months after mating would be somewhat of a norm.

G Rosea also tend to be ok mothers. I have never had a mom eat a sac. But leaving them undisturbed is the key to that happening. If there is to much activity in the area of the tank even the best of moms will eat the sac.

ParabuthusKing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No offense Mina, but I agree with talkenlate.. I actually bred my roseas as well, and I don't have exact dates but it was less than three months between mating and dropping of eggsac.. also some people say that G. roseas are difficult to breed, but my results were the exact opposite.. My female was an excellent mother despite my picking up her cage multiple times to check and see if the eggsac was getting moldy ( it was summer so I added water, possibly too much to her cage) , and I got over 200 healthy spiderlings that are all doing well currently.. its a bit of work to take care of them all though... best of luck to you :)

dayredfern

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks so much, cnt wait till she drops now! hopefuly ill have a handful of spiderlings to look after!!

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have heard it can take up to 3 years before the female actually lays a sack. From what I've been told, you should take the sack because roseas have a tendancey to eat them. I was told you should take them away at a month. My sack was infertile, so sorry I can't be of more help.
Self edit: I thought I had read about it taking some rosea's up to three years to drop an egg sac, but I cannot find where I read it so I have no proof. I have an anecdotal bit of info, a friend of mine bred a rosea that was gravid for well over a year before laying an egg sac. I know that does not constitute proof but its all I got right now. :D

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I can believe that........ There is a once and a while case where a female takes a bit longer due to enviromental conditions or food availibility but Id say on a whole you can expect to wait 3-6 months.