Davis pentaloris egg sac help please

Loveablespoods

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone.
I just bred tarantulas for the first time (Davis pentaloris)
When dose the female usually produce an egg sac after mating?
When do we take the egg sac on the female?
Many thanks in advance

Attachments

additude

Arachnosquire
What are you doing breading spiders before you even have the simplest of answers to questions such as these?
You are going about this all backwards. You should learn to swim before you jump in the water and drown.

Marlana

Arachnoknight
I don’t think we should discourage people from breeding if they have an interest. As someone who has mated spiders that have never been produced in the US (Eresus walckenaeri), you just don’t always know the answers to these questions. Sometimes you have to wing it. Sometimes you have to do the best you can. Sometimes people don’t want to give up breeding information…which is annoying in itself.

To the OP. I’ve never bred this species so I’m not sure. See if you can find anything in the breeding reports. If not, try asking some breeders you know of. If that doesn’t work, wing it.

Loveablespoods

Arachnopeon
I don’t think we should discourage people from breeding if they have an interest. As someone who has mated spiders that have never been produced in the US (Eresus walckenaeri), you just don’t always know the answers to these questions. Sometimes you have to wing it. Sometimes you have to do the best you can. Sometimes people don’t want to give up breeding information…which is annoying in itself.

To the OP. I’ve never bred this species so I’m not sure. See if you can find anything in the breeding reports. If not, try asking some breeders you know of. If that doesn’t work, wing it.
Thank you so much. I just wasn't sure on how long but a friend informed me it's 30 days. Breeding is something I really want to do but need to ask questions in order to make sure I am doing it correctly.
If I wing it then I could harm the eggs which I'm not willing to do.

Marlana

Arachnoknight
Thank you so much. I just wasn't sure on how long but a friend informed me it's 30 days. Breeding is something I really want to do but need to ask questions in order to make sure I am doing it correctly.
If I wing it then I could harm the eggs which I'm not willing to do.
I agree winging it isn’t ideal. And with a species already established, unnecessary. I was just saying sometimes you can’t find the information or there isn’t any out there. So you just have to do your best. Anyway 30 days seems really short, I’d double check that. But again I haven’t bred this species so I’m not the one to ask.

I looked it up and 30 days looks correct for pulling a sac. 4-6 weeks after mating is usually when they lay.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Breading spiders is never a good idea.
Beer-battered, maybe?

I agree winging it isn’t ideal. And with a species already established, unnecessary. I was just saying sometimes you can’t find the information or there isn’t any out there. So you just have to do your best. Anyway 30 days seems really short, I’d double check that. But again I haven’t bred this species so I’m not the one to ask.
Thirty days to pull the sack from the female is typical, but you may want to pull it a bit earlier depending on how recently the female ate prior to laying - the biggest concern with new/young mothers is that they will eat the sack, so the longer you leave it with them, the more chance they have of doing so. You will have to wait a while before the female actually produces a sack, so you've got plenty of time to do some more research and make sure you're prepared. Are you ready to handle 50 on up to 200 tiny dwarf slings? They are TINY, so you'll need lot's of appropriately sized containers for them, etc...

I love Davus pentaloris, they're awesome little tarantulas. Hope she drops a fat sack for you - good luck!!

Marlana

Arachnoknight
Beer-battered, maybe?

Thirty days to pull the sack from the female is typical, but you may want to pull it a bit earlier depending on how recently the female ate prior to laying - the biggest concern with new/young mothers is that they will eat the sack, so the longer you leave it with them, the more chance they have of doing so. You will have to wait a while before the female actually produces a sack, so you've got plenty of time to do some more research and make sure you're prepared. Are you ready to handle 50 on up to 200 tiny dwarf slings? They are TINY, so you'll need lot's of appropriately sized containers for them, etc...

I love Davus pentaloris, they're awesome little tarantulas. Hope she drops a fat sack for you - good luck!!
Thanks for the information. I’m more use to true spiders so pulling a sac is new to me. And the one species I bred (T.seladonia) the sac was left way longer with mom. But that’s because people typically leave it with mom until 2i. So 30 days sounded short 😅 but makes sense now.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I haven’t bred D pentaloris but it could be a week or it could be 6 months before dropping an egg sack. I’d guess 1-3 months. Pull from the mom as 25-35 days and then incubate until 2i

Loveablespoods

Arachnopeon
Beer-battered, maybe?

I am more than ready I have 1000 deli pots, substrate, paint brushes, springtails, fruit flies, mini mealworms and so on

cold blood

Staff member
I am more than ready I have 1000 deli pots, substrate, paint brushes, springtails, fruit flies, mini mealworms and so on
fantastic....well except for the fruit flies...don't feed fruit flies, they are nutritionally deficient....not my opinion, that is from arachnologist Sam Marshalll.