egg eater snake eating egg

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
finally after many months of trying I got not one but two videos of this girl(calling her Daisy...Daisy the Dasypeltis...I kno pretty bad right?) eating. She fasted for two months while I was out of town(roomate did make sure she had water) and actually grew in length/girth while I was gone. She was particularly voracious and now will eat straight out of my hand.

Here's one. Will upload the other
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5hOiO7aX08

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Excellent video!
That was actually cool! Now I have a question. When does the egg actually break apart in its body and if you actually see this happening as its traveling down its body?

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She crushes the egg when it is pretty well behind the head. It stops(as in the video-don't remember how far I videoed for) and when she feel like it then she begins to arch her back and "squirm". You can hear the egg crack it is quite loud. Enough that I could tell when she ate an egg previously(she would usually feed at night) because I'd hear a crunch while I was half asleep in bed.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
can she eat a hard boiled egg ? just wondering if she can also crack that one :\

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No.

I'd hypothesize if she took it she would be able to crack it with the downward pointing spikes off her backbone but that would be it. Then she'd probably regurgitate it. Consider that they normally crush the egg and allow the juices to flow into their stomach. I am not planning on trying that anytime soon.