Effects of RAID?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Here is one, BIOONE Online Journals - MORTALITY OF ANT (HYMENOPTERA: FORMICIDAE) PEST SPECIES EXPOSED TO SODIUM HYDROGEN CARBONATE.
e really getting tick
I find it ironic I don't have ants anywhere near my residence anymore when I sprinkled baking soda out in the planter and poured lines of it on the window sills and doorsteps. They're gone!
Sweet. OK, there is something to it although I would observe it's going to work best as a barrier repellent (which seems to be how you're using it).

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sweet. OK, there is something to it although I would observe it's going to work best as a barrier repellent (which seems to be how you're using it).
I particularly love this part

>>Mortality for Argentine ants and fire ants exposed to 152.0 mg NaHCO3 per cm2 was (F = 592.02; df = 3,5; P = 0.0001) higher than mortality for their respective untreated controls over the 6 d of the test. Following correction for control mortality (Abbott 1925), Argentine ant mortality was 99.09% and fire ant mortality was 99.47% after 6 days of continuous exposure to 152.0 mg NaHCO3 per cm2 (Fig. 2C, non-corrected mortality). This concentration was the predicted LC95 for Argentine ants following 6 d exposure to NaHCO3. However, mortality for both species was higher than 95% in less than 6 d. In fact, almost all workers of both species were killed by this concentration after only 4 d of exposure. These results suggest that, at lower concentrations, there may be small differences in mortality of workers of these two species; however, as concentration of NaHCO3 is increased, the mortality of the two species is similar.<<

However, from what I gathered from this article, it appears Sodium bicarbonate/sugar water concoctions had significantly lower mortality percentages.

(And one may take the fight to the home invading pest by dropping a pot of hot water or baking soda down upon the anthill.)

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
:clap: :clap:

All Natural- things that are:
- asbestos
- curare
- nicotine
- the list goes on...
No wonder I don't have ant problems, all the cigs I smoke they all die of 2nd hand! And for those thinking this my "Critters" are kept in a smoke free section of the house.

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My mom always mixed boric acid in with raspberry jam and put it in little milk caps and yogurt lids all around the house when I was a kid. She would always yell at the dogs to keep them away from it. I am glad to know that she was killing ants, and not just crazy... I used to call it fairy food, cause it came in such small dishes... Okay I am a nerd. But at least it works. We never had ant problems for long periods of time once she put out the jam mix.