Eco Earth

USMCVET

Arachnopeon
I have done my first brick of Eco Earth and attempted to lay it out in the sun, but it is still damp. Can I still use it in my slings home or have to lay it out more?

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
You can always spread some out on a foil lined cookie sheet and dry it in the oven. When I make a brick I use very hot water (140-170 degrees) and only use 75% of the water called for in the instructions. It takes a little longer to fully hydrate but comes out more usable, and you can always add more moisture if needed.

USMCVET

Arachnopeon
You can always spread some out on a foil lined cookie sheet and dry it in the oven. When I make a brick I use very hot water (140-170 degrees) and only use 75% of the water called for in the instructions. It takes a little longer to fully hydrate but comes out more usable, and you can always add more moisture if needed.
Oh ok. I will try the oven to see what happens. I have my slings in potting soil right now, but I have noticed it is not really smooth for them when wandering around and more work for them when burrowing.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Oh ok. I will try the oven to see what happens. I have my slings in potting soil right now, but I have noticed it is not really smooth for them when wandering around and more work for them when burrowing.
I use a 50/50 mixture of Eco Earth and potting soil and have not seen my slings have any problem with it. I do take the time to screen the big stuff out of the top soil before mixing it.

DeanK

Arachnosquire
Give them a water bottle or soda bottle cap with water. Misting serves to mostly annoy the tarantula

USMCVET

Arachnopeon
Give them a water bottle or soda bottle cap with water. Misting serves to mostly annoy the tarantula
I'll do that when I change the substrate. I didn't think of doing that cause of how small they are.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Drowning definitely was not on my list of concerns. LOL. More of environmental because how I've been reading that GBBs like it bone dry.
Oh good! Indeed they do come a very dry climate, however I always provide mine w/a water dish. It may not drink as much when less than 2" if it's incredibly well fed, ie FAT. I don't recommend that however.
Once it's at 2" it will definitely need a water dish and drink. I raised my AF from a sling and this was the behavior I observed w/her and other GBBs I have raised up as well.

They are incredibly hardy.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
I keep all my slings on slightly moist topsoil. Slings haven't developed the waxy cuticle to avoid dehydration. Haven't lost a sling keeping this way, even with my Brachys and Grammos. When your GBB is about 2", use dry sub and provide a water dish.

lunarae

Arachnobaron
I did the 50/50 mix of eco earth and top soil myself. gives variety in the substrate and the variety in the top soil I feel they actually have a better time with burrowing as well. As long as your substrate isn't sopping wet but just a little damp i don't see it being a huge issue, slings need it a little moist rather then bone dry.