Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Ecco Earth smells

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by vancwa, Nov 10, 2019 at 8:20 PM.

1. vancwa

vancwa Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    I have one enclosure in which the Ecco Earth smells funny. Dank? It has never been wet as the home is occupied by a MM H. pulchripes. The remaining sub has been used for other containers and does not smell. I only fill the water dish to the top with minimal overflow. The dish is not webbed.

2. SamanthaMarikian

SamanthaMarikian Arachnosquire Active Member

Are you sure its the eco earth that smells bad? Like a funky moldy smell or like a dead rotting feeder or something?

3. Feral

Feral Arachnoknight Active Member

If something suddenly starts to smell bad in an enclosure, then some organism is doing something to produce that smell. Could be bacteria breaking down organics, or fungus growing, or something else.

We know an enclosure should just smell like good dirt. But when you say "dank", like a musty smell, it makes me think that it is some form of fungus, which includes mold and mildew among other fungi. So keeping it dry in there, including substrate and wood and any organics, is a good thing, like you said. And it's good you're looking out for moisture wicking from the water dish via any webbing, great. But sometimes just the humidity of the environment (your home) will be enough moisture for some fungi in some situations, especially once they get a foothold. So increasing the airflow by as much as possible is always a good idea. Being on top of spot-cleaning leftovers and boli is always a must, for everyone. But in this case, with a noticeable odor, that might not be enough... you may possibly want to add a (safe) competing organism or fungivore, but I think it'd be better to change the materials completely/deep clean. I know fungus isn't usually a problem, and you can just scoop it out as you see it, but if you've got enough of it (whatever it is) to actually produce a noticeable smell, then... that worries me. So whether you can see the offending beast or not, in my opinion it's bad enough to warrant intervention. It's not like you're seeing anything to just scoop out. For me, I'd chose a complete overhaul, clean, and replace materials.

Whatever you do, good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.