Eating question

mmfh

Arachnobaron
im new to scorpions but I have noticed that mine always eats its crickets head first. Is this just something particular to the one I own or do many scorpions eat head first? Ty

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I haven't kept scorps for years but I do currently have about sixty between four genera (C. gracilis, S. mesaensis, R. junceus, and P. cavimanus), most of those sixty being gracilis scorplings with very healthy feeding responses lol, and I see them eat head first, sideways like they're eating a hot dog wrong, and abdomen first.

Ran

Arachnoknight
Many scorpion species eat that way to make sure they do not get bit if their venom has not taken full effect. Even the larger species that do not envenomate their prey eat that way...safety reasons!

Stugy

Arachnolord
Many scorpion species eat that way to make sure they do not get bit if their venom has not taken full effect. Even the larger species that do not envenomate their prey eat that way...safety reasons!
Veni the Scorpion says: "Safety First Scorplings!"

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Good point, that would point the legs with the defensive barbs on them (at least on crickets and some roaches afaik) away from the scorpion.

mmfh

Arachnobaron
Thank you for all the responses. I never thought about them being cautious of being bit or stabbed :)