Eating dead crickets

PsychoChaser

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
All of my Ts will not eat pre-killed crickets, except for L Striatus 1.25". Some Ts kill but wont eat crickets and I put the dead cricket in with L. Striatus. Is there any risk in feeding the dead crickets to them?(Only dead for less than one day)

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All of my Ts will not eat pre-killed crickets, except for L Striatus 1.25". Some Ts kill but wont eat crickets and I put the dead cricket in with L. Striatus. Is there any risk in feeding the dead crickets to them?(Only dead for less than one day)
As long as you dont see any maggot type of stuff and its super rotten, it should be fine but if you can just feed them all live crickets

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most little tiny slings will eat pre killed food, when they are little they tend to be less picky. As they get older they will refuse pre killed food, for the most part. Yes, occasionally an a bigger T will just kill a cricket and not eat it. I've always assumed it means they are not hungry, grumpy, just don't want to be bothered, or a combo of all three.
Are you trying to figure out what to do if a T kills a cricket and leaves it, or do you have a concern about feeding live crickets?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For my slings that are small but not teeny-tiny i try to wound the crickets without killing them. Basically i pluck or cut off the big legs and cut their head in half w/ small scissors. Gruesome, i know but this leaves a prey item that struggles a little and is still alive thus triggering the predatory instinct in the sling. This also helps if you're not sure what stage of premolt a sling is in and it may or may not actually take the food. If the sling goes ahead and molts without killing the crik then it's safe cuz the crik will die anyway.

Harrod

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have had several of my slings kill the cricket while it was in premolt, web it up and save until after its done molting. A few days after molting they go and pull the out the cricket and start eating.