Eating behavior

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Feeding behavior

Every time I feed my versi sling, he eats a little bit of the cricket for a couple minutes then drops it and walks around his tubeweb adding more silk to it. He's doing it right now, completely ignoring his food even though it's his first meal since molting and fasting for 5 weeks. He always goes back to finish the cricket later. Looks like he's going back to munch on it again as I type this. Think he's just doing a happy little silk-spinning dance? :D

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Every time I feed my versi sling, he eats a little bit of the cricket for a couple minutes then drops it and walks around his tubeweb adding more silk to it. He's doing it right now, completely ignoring his food even though it's his first meal since molting and fasting for 5 weeks. He always goes back to finish the cricket later. Looks like he's going back to munch on it again as I type this. Think he's just doing a happy little silk-spinning dance? :D
Hm, so he just after eating eat for awile, he just drops it and completely ignores it till later? I've never heard of this before.

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I bet that's fun to watch

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Hm, so he just after eating eat for awile, he just drops it and completely ignores it till later? I've never heard of this before.
Yeah, it's quite odd. I don't see the significance of pausing to spin webs for two minutes then going back to eating.

Cereal Box

Arachnopeon
While my cobalt blue is eating she smears webbing randomly, turning around to smear some more web, destroying what structure there was in the process. She doesn't stop her eating to do this, but maybe, as you've said, your spider's simply doing her happy dance.

widowkeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i got a vagan that the second you drop food in it starts to make a food mat if it gets to close he kills it and goes back to the mat to web for a few mins leaving the food half the time only to go back to get it when hes done with his mat when hes ready to eat he lifts his body as high as he can and eats looks like he is trying to lift off the ground my other 3 vagans kill and eat the second the food hits the ground dunno i guess he really dont want to get his food dirty? dunno fun to watch though

ratz00

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have been noticing this with my slings too. They eat for a bit, spins silk for a while and come back to munch on its food. I havent seen my adults do that just my slings and juvies...:D