Easy to keep Drawf Tarantulas

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I currently have a Euathlus sp , I'm going to a show and wondered what other Ts to look out for , I've noticed theirs a yellow , blue and green Euathlus but have seen they can be skittish , any ideas please ? It's not till June but I wanted to make a note of names and do some research . On any suitable Ts . Thanks Debbie .

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Neoholothele incei, Kochiana brunnipes, anything Cyriocosmus, and Dolichothele diamantinensis are some good ones.

Vezon

Arachnopeon
Euathlus blue/green are not dwarf species, and yes, they are kind of skiddish. E. sp red/yellow are dwarfs, however, and are considered to be one of the most calm (and handlable) species to keep.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Ami species are small but colourful. Theraphosinae species as well. @KezyGLA has experience with these I believe.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
Euathlus blue/green are not dwarf species, and yes, they are kind of skiddish. E. sp red/yellow are dwarfs, however, and are considered to be one of the most calm (and handlable) species to keep.
thank you

Deb60

Arachnosquire
No, they're quite skittish. They won't generally try to bite, but they run for the hills at most disturbances and they're pretty quick.
I'd been looking at them and my daughter said the same thing.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'd been looking at them and my daughter said the same thing.
I mean, I do recommend them. They're a great spider, a staple in any collection. It's not like they're constantly trying to escape, just don't expect to ever be able to hold them.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I mean, I do recommend them. They're a great spider, a staple in any collection. It's not like they're constantly trying to escape, just don't expect to ever be able to hold them.
Oh no I wouldn't want to hold any of my Ts , I have GBB ( Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens ) which I've had a few months , but she has hidden away during the day so far , so feeding etc haven't been a problem so far , as in I haven't noticed any skittish behaviour, other than her sticking her rear end out of her hide when doing her water the other day

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Euathlus sp north are amazing and are as calm as E sp red. Alot of dwarf species can and are slightly skittish, also my D diamantinensis was skittish as hell it's the only species I've ever had escape twice. Cyriocosmus sp aren't too bad. Cyclosternum are also a pretty good choice

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I currently have a Euathlus sp , I'm going to a show and wondered what other Ts to look out for , I've noticed theirs a yellow , blue and green Euathlus but have seen they can be skittish , any ideas please ? It's not till June but I wanted to make a note of names and do some research . On any suitable Ts . Thanks Debbie .
Any animals, like a human animal can be skittish. E sp Yellow and Red typically not skittish, the others are larger and more skittish generally.

If you want a small size T easy to care, that is skittish, and NO urticating setae, get an N. incei. They are fascinating web builders, and excellent eaters. You won't see them as much as E sp Red though.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Cyclosternum are also a pretty good choice
Second this one. Although they are now labeled as D.pentaloris. At least, up here they are. Heavy webber, a bit skittish, but nothing too bad. And they have that lovely abdominal pattern very early on :)
I got two as freebies, and I am quite fond of them now!

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Second this one. Although they are now labeled as D.pentaloris. At least, up here they are. Heavy webber, a bit skittish, but nothing too bad. And they have that lovely abdominal pattern very early on :)
I got two as freebies, and I am quite fond of them now!
They are also labeled the same here all apart from Cyclosternum schmardae

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
They are also labeled the same here all apart from Cyclosternum schmardae
Cyclosternum is still a valid genus. Some of the changes were that C. fasciatus and C. pentalore are considered junior synonyms of Davus pentaloris and the true Davus fasciatus has never actually been in the hobby. The paper by Ray Gabriel also shows 4 different abdominal patterns of D. pentaloris.

Revised taxonomic placement of the species in
the Central American genera Davus O. Pickard-
Cambridge, 1892, Metriopelma Becker, 1878, and
Schizopelma F. O. Pickard-Cambridge, 1897, with
comments on species in related genera (Araneae:
Theraphosidae)
Ray Gabriel