Easy to breed Feeders

HepCatMoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
so currently i have started 1 small colony of discoids.

no babies yet, but i think they will mature soon. so far i love em, so easy to keep.

any other feeders out there besides roaches that are as easy to breed?

Aquanut

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i think many of them are easy to breed, probably depends on your needs and wants in a feeder, climbers or not, size etc. I like discoids, dubias breed great also, maybe faster. Ive heard that Lobsters breed insanely fast (small climbers) Lateris are supposed to breed nearly as fast but don't climb. Orange heads and a few others are popular too but i haven't played with them. I know some on this forum have a number of species, some are feeders and others for collections only.

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think he wanted to know if there was anything other then roaches that breed well... I have heard of people breeding meal worms, but i dont think anything beats roaches as far as ease compared to good feeders.

Aquanut

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My bad, i forgot there were other feeders (and i forgot to read ):embarrassed:

HepCatMoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ya i figured there wouldnt be anything as easy as roaches.

worth a try though!! thanks guys.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mealworms. I swear to god, they live off the humidity of air itself. When I had my colonies going, I never watered them and I had thousands of individuals.

Unfortunately, I ended up with a super bad grain mite infestation after a few years.

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not trying to take over your thread, how hard are meal worms to keep? don't their adults fly?

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not trying to take over your thread, how hard are meal worms to keep? don't their adults fly?
They're not that hard to keep. Buy a canister of 25, toss them a tub of oats and give them carrots once a week. Forget about them for a year(other than your weekly carrot) and you'll have feeders enough to feed anything.

The beetles don't fly or climb.

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are easy, but not the best food from what i've heard. Lots of Chitin[sp?] and not much meat. Good for baby leo's and such though...
~Samuel

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Flour moth larvae are easy, though you have to attract wild adults to a container full of grain to get your colony started. Aphids are easy, too, especially if you can cultivate organic parsley in your yard. Parsley is an aphid magnet.

I always found Nauphoeta cinerea to be the easiest roach to keep and breed. Their nymphs were a great size for most slings.

Digby Rigby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Roach Alternatives

Other fairly prolific and easily cared for feeders to breed are Firebrats, bean and pea aphids, various springtails, isopods, certain mantids, green tinfoil beetles, certain grasshoppers and locusts are also very easy to breed and one of our most popular are pygmy mice adults dont even get as long as dubia roaches! Mollies and guppies make good feeder fish, also certain species of phasmids can be good!

Digby Rigby

balboa28279@mypacks.net

HepCatMoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what mantid are you thinking of as a feeder?

that sounds very interesting!!

Digby Rigby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
MM-Mm-Mantids

Chinese mantids can be good feeders. I know of people who get a bunch of ooths and hatch them out and feed as needed. Some have even used ghost mantids and violin mantids that they breed and raise(extras) because they can live communaly if given enough room. Others are either Miomantis or otomantis I forget which that can be kept together for the first few instars if given sufficient food. I have only used the Chinese personally at this time.

Digby Rigby balboa28279@mypacks.net

My feeders are cooler than your pets{D